• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Infuriating Ebay Member

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sam__

I was brousing ebay to see if there were any cheap HDDs...Im in need of one for storage.
I found one here : 250gig SEAGATE SATA 2 HARDRIVE (quick format) I had a read through the description and looked like a good deal. So i bid.

Just to make sure it was all working n that I sent the seller a message. Seeing as it said "quick format" I thought id inquire about that.

I presume the drive is in perfect working order and only needs to be properly formatted, correct?
thanks

I was very pleased when I got a reply so quickly:

hi thanks for your message this drive has been quick formated because i was unable to do a full format on it hence NO RETURNES kind regards

ok fair enough...well I dont want a broken hard drive so:

oh.....is there any way i can take my bid off? thanks

no reply for a while so I sent another messsage.
As i couldnt tell from reading the description that is didnt work properly I thought id advise them on how to improve the description so as not to dissapoint anyone.

I would like you to cancel my bid please. I thought the drive was working and I think you should edit the description accordinly to make that more clear.
Thanks.

I got this in reply:

DONT TELL ME HOW TO LIST ITS NOT MY FAULT YOU DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MEANS . FOR GODS SAKE!!!!
I SELL HUNDREDS OF THESE THINGS EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT IT MEANS . NOW GO AWAY STOP HASSELING ME . YOU HAVE BEEN BLOCKED ANYWAY . ( DONT REPLY ELSE ILL REPORT YOU TO EBAY )

Woah there! so if I see "quick format" in any HDD description I should be wary?
Im pretty damn sure that you can quick format a perfectly fine hard drive so how in any way can that imply that its faulty???

Am I being really stupid here, or is this guy just venting some kind of built up anger on me. lol

I've never heard of quick format being used as some code for faulty. If he had written something like "I can only quick format it" then I wouldnt have bid in the first place.

Anyone else had this kind of infuriating experience? This kind of this just get on my fridging knockers.

thanks for reading the rant :D

Hahahahahaha

Wow, that seller is the "German Kid and UT video" of Ebay...

Edit: For the record just because the listing said "Quick Formated" that DOES NOT mean that there is a problem with the drive.
Just for your info, I never buy anything off ebay unless the seller has over 2k feedback and has been on ebay a few years.

this drive has been quick formated because i was unable to do a full format on it

Failed or did he only do a quick format?

Quick formatting is the way to go because it takes such a short amount of time. :D

Quick formatting is the way to go because it takes such a short amount of time. :D

I guess he tried to full format but it failed in some way.

oh yeah...I reported him to ebay 'cos I feel that message was completely uncalled for.

People like that are not worth buying from. It was cheap for a reason and he probably knew that it was bad and not working. Basically selling a dead drive...

Am i aloud to name and shame the user? (is it within the forum rules)

Yes but not the way to go if you are worried about people recovering data off the drive. All a quick format does is removes the file header info off the drive. All the data is still there in a sence just nothing pointing to how the data is arranged. Very easy to fix with recovery software. Which is why i never sell hard drive unless its to someone I trust or I didn't have any sensitive data on the drive.

Uh...what? You linked to the eBay page....we have his name.

Or is he on these forums?? If so, NO.

oh yeah lol...just realised you can all see his name...and to my knowledge hes not on theses forums.

I'll side with you on this one 100% Sam. QuickFormat in no way implies the drive is possibly broken.

There are always hard drives for sale in the OC Forums Classified section. As of right now I count eight of various sizes and types. Our guys here will treat you better than most Ebay sellers with such a delicate item as a hard drive. There is no reason to test the waters buying a hard drive from Ebay when the OC Forums always has reliable and honest sellers to do business with.

There are always hard drives for sale in the OC Forums Classified section. As of right now I count eight of various sizes and types. Our guys here will treat you better than most Ebay sellers with such a delicate item as a hard drive. There is no reason to test the waters buying a hard drive from Ebay when the OC Forums always has reliable and honest sellers to do business with.

yeah true...but I dont rele have much money for a hdd atm so im lookin for those ones that slip through the net so i can grab a bargain.

now i know how risky it is im less inclined

OP, you do know you can retract your bid don't you? That outta teach the seller a lesson in customer service :D

He retracted the bid after I asked the second time. so its all ok now...im just venting my annoyance here instead of at him which would have got me in trouble with ebay.

The only time eBay users come off like that, is if they've had serious issues in the past over it. Lot's of phony con artists on there that like to use the description has a legal thing because they know the item is bad. Things like "NO RETURNS IF DOA, FAULTY, ETC" are huge warning signs and should always be taken seriously.

Looking at this person's feedback, he seems to love to retaliate too. All too typical now...

Back