• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of making a bong :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sam__

Iv just got into watercooling and I was thinking about making a bong, aslong as it will be more effective than my current Black Ice GTS-Lite 360 rad then im all up for it.

I've got hold of a ~20"(H) x 12"(W) x 14"(D) 25L water container that I could use. First Q is, is it tall enough to be effective? I know some people have 6ft ones but that means buying piping and iv kinda spent all my money on the rest of the wcooling parts lol.

Been reading around a bit and wondering about filtering and killing all the crap thats gunna work its way in. I have some stuff my dad uses for his field irrigation which we says should kill pretty much any living thing in the loop. What else should I be carefull about? I think im gunna use tap water cos I cant see myself getting loads of distilled.

Not too bothered about the noise people says it makes but ping pong balls are supposed to quieten it right?

I have a D4 pump....will it be powerfull enough? Im planning on having the container under my desk and then pump the water up to my comp (on the desk). about 2 1/2ft off the ground.

Anything else I should be aware of?

The ambient temperature where live will determine the effectiveness of the cooler.
Taller is better. I have seen small ones built that functioned well.
Remember that you're trying to cause the water evaporate and the includes any chemicals that you add to the water. If it's toxic at all, I wouldn't add it.
The Ping Pong balls will help to reduce the falling water sound.

The ambient temperature where live will determine the effectiveness of the cooler.
Taller is better. I have seen small ones built that functioned well.
Remember that you're trying to cause the water evaporate and the includes any chemicals that you add to the water. If it's toxic at all, I wouldn't add it.
The Ping Pong balls will help to reduce the falling water sound.

thanks for the reply.

the ambient in my room is anywhere between 18 and 25C. Its pretty dry too which is good no?
Ill find out if its toxic. gotta remember anything that goes into the bong goes into my air lol.

Yep. Read up on bongs in the chilled water section here and at xtreme systems. Taller is good. The longer the water falls, the more chance it has at evaporating. I have seen 8 ft bongs, 12" around posted. Pump pressure can be an issue. The shower heads used can be restrictive, and the increase in vertical travel too can affect pump flow. Water is also an issue. If you live in a dry area and use your bong for 24 hours you could use up to a gallon of water. You don't mind a humid room where your PC is? Are you willing to pay for the replacement of the distilled water? Some put a rad in the bong water and run a standard loop through the PC, keeping clean pure water in their loop (good).

Bongs are very very cool. But added work. If you NEED it for better temps, great. Otherwise....... work on the PC/BONG when ya could be on the PC doin summin.

They pay me at work to ask questions.... Keeps management out of fantasy land, I ask questions to steer decisions and keep all our feet on the ground.

Yep. Read up on bongs in the chilled water section here and at xtreme systems. Taller is good. The longer the water falls, the more chance it has at evaporating. I have seen 8 ft bongs, 12" around posted. Pump pressure can be an issue. The shower heads used can be restrictive, and the increase in vertical travel too can affect pump flow. Water is also an issue. If you live in a dry area and use your bong for 24 hours you could use up to a gallon of water. You don't mind a humid room where your PC is? Are you willing to pay for the replacement of the distilled water? Some put a rad in the bong water and run a standard loop through the PC, keeping clean pure water in their loop (good).

Bongs are very very cool. But added work. If you NEED it for better temps, great. Otherwise....... work on the PC/BONG when ya could be on the PC doin summin.

They pay me at work to ask questions.... Keeps management out of fantasy land, I ask questions to steer decisions and keep all our feet on the ground.

thanks a lot those are some very good Qs. I like the idea of the bong being in a separate loop. Have to think about that one....how much would it effect temps tho?

Back