• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot failure! Possible PSU problem! (HELP!! me)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

This is a serious and urgent matter. I need to know whats exactly wrong with this system I built for a friend. Its got an XP1600+ and Abit KR7A-RAID with a generic 300w PSU.

Symtom= Computer fails to boot to bios when I set the AthlonXP @ 1600+ (1.4GHz) in bios. If I dont do this, everything seems to run almost ok, (DEFUALT cpu speed when cmos is cleared is 1050MHz (10.5x100). But in WindowsXP installation when cpu is @ 1.05GHz, the computer hangs when its searching for Network installation.

@ 1.4GHz, its impossible to even get into the XP installation setup.

I'm REALLY SUSPECTING THE POWER SUPPLY TO BE THE PROBLEM!

When I underclock the processor, booting to the main bios boot screen is 100% garanteed. But as soon as I set the processor back to 1.4GHz (XP1600+), the computer wont even bootup!, it just sits with the monitor having no signal . AND, screwing with voltages does nothing or makes things even worse! the system will definatly not boot with 1.85V VCORE in BIOS @ 1.4GHz

Last but not least, the 5V voltage bounces like crazy between 4.87~4.91V, WT Heck!?????????

all help is gladly appreciated!
thx in advance:(

Ok, I am unfamilar with that mobo, but wonder if the bios needs to be flashed for XP support? I think it that it couldn't hurt to post in the Abit mobo topic.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but that problem is sort of perplexing...

bad stick of memory?, never thought of that, maybe thats it?

Installed is 512MB (256 x 2) of crucial PC2100. Both sticks check in OK @ boot when I'm running @ 1050MHz.

man, this is a messed up situation:(

I'm lost

Thankyou everyone for your replies, it turns out it was the PSU!

Enermax 430W cured the problem!

But a new problem has emerged! The CPU temperature is outragous, 66C MAX!, Why is this? I got the Thermaltake Volcano5 on there.

The only thing I can think is doing it is maybe the heatsink isnt sitting properly on the processor?

Back