• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Rampage Formula to hot to touch!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WiSH2oo0

So I picked up a Asus Rampage Formula today w/ a Asus 4870. No joke if i touch the NB, SB or the 4870 for to long(30secs) it would burn my finger. I have everything installed on a table in my kitchen w/ my AC on w/ a room temp of 75ºF. I had memtest running for abt 2hrs and the system froze up. I'm guessing it was do to heat on either the NB, SB or the 4870.

I'm just curious if anyone else that uses this mobo or vid card have the same heat issues that I do. I added a fan blowing on the vid card/SB and 1 to the NB and things are running ALOT cooler. It sucks that I'm gunna have to cut new holes in the side of my case to add fans just to keep these components in check.

waht is your NB, SB voltage set to?
the 4870 runs hot out of the box (approx 80-90 degrees C)
it may be that the NB and SB voltages are set high
also, try repasting/or w/e you call it, the thermal paste on the heatsinks and NB/SB chips

Thx guys, yours right on the button! :cool: The 4870 is the culprit for the NB and SB running so hot. Now I have to decide if I'm gunna buy a new aftermarket HS or cut new fan holes in the side of my case.

Thx
Moses

I have the same mobo with a 4850. The first thing I did when I got the mobo was remove the NB & SB HS and heatpipes. I cleaned the factory tim off and reapplied ASC. After the install I checked the NB with my finger and it burned me too. So I installed the little fan that comes with the mobo onto the silver fine/heatpipe assembly and it dropped my temps (according to Asus Probe) 12c from 62 down to 51

I just betcha if I would have left the old factory TIM on there my temps wouldn't be this good

DSCF2593.jpg

Last edited:
I am running this board with an E8400 OC to 3.6 Ghz. (20% OC). I have the FSB set at 400 so I can have a 1:1 ratio. The board defaults the NB voltage really high once you go 400 FSB. If you check the bios setup, it's like 1.63v or something like that. This has been repeatedly noted on the ASUS message boards for this Mobo. Some people manually drop it down to ~1.55 and have good stability. This also shaves off a few degrees on the temps.

This NB just runs really hot on this Mobo. I think since so many people are tweaking ASUS boards, they just figure if they tweak the NB voltage it will provide more stability for a majority of overclockers. What they fail to mention is that this is bad for the hardware. Some people counter this argument by saying the NB is spec's by intel at 90C or something insane. I guess time will only tell. Mine runs comfortably anywhere from 55-61 with a 20% overclock.

I ended up just putting on my HR-03 GT on my 4870 who ever would've
thought that fit on there perfectly. That's just ridiculous the card ran
at 80ºC at idle. I also dropped the default NB voltage from 1.63v to
1.55v and that helped out.

The only problem that I'm having now is that my Core Temp is showing my
2nd core running 9ºC higher then core #1.

Thx again for all the input guys :beer:
Moses

What CPU are you running...didnt see anything about that being posted and dont see anything that has to do with the fomula on your sig...

Back