• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PorPorMe

Registered
I've just got an Abit BP6 with dual 366 cellies and am having a very strange boot problem. Test bench with just CPU's and I get a good bios beep. Now, somewhere in the install process, I loose the bios beep. Just the HSF spin up. I tear back down and get to test bench some times I'll have a bios beep but most times I won't. After sitting for a while, eventually I'll get the bios beep again.I'll do another install and check for bios every step. Sometimes I loose it just installing the board to the case.[plastic stand offs] Sometimes I don't loose it untill the very end or any where in between. One time I got it to post, it had a chksum error but it wouldn't recognize my USB mouse. I powered off, put on a PS2 mouse, and then it would not boot.
The only thing that looks like things are in common is the power shut down. Could that be shocking the board in some way? Why is it varying the post so much? I've gone through this in various forms about 10 times. Each time i try to put it together a different way but get to the complete install and I'm loosing the bios beep and therefor the boot. I've varied all components at one time or another. Anybody with an idea?

I have this problem posted on 3 forums, here, AOA, and the BP6 Network Community. There has not been a single response. With all that knowledge out there somebody has to have some kind of idea. If it sounds dumb, lets hear it. If it's just an off the wall guess, lets hear it. I am clean out of ideas except to keep turning it on and hoping that this time will be the time it goes all the way through and that is a dumb way to run a railroad!

Well, I am not familiar with the BP6 but it is an older board correct? Have you tried replacing the battery? I know, not much help, but it beats a blank :)

Larry

Back