• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick memory Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dexterm99

I purchase an overclocked computer from someone, unfortunately I am not to savy when it comes to overclocking. My question is, if I would like to add memory (which he has overclocked), if I purchase the exact same type of memory that is already in the computer, and add the new memory in, will that work, or will I have to make some adjustments, or will the computer burn a whole through my desk to the center of the earth? Thanks and sorry for my ignorance on such matters.

My Computer Information

oh yea, sorry, the motherboard is an abit IP35v Pro, the processor is an Intel 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4)overclocked to 3.21, and I currently have 4GB(2 and 2) of Gskill DDR2-1000 (5-5-5-15).

I'm curious to know what you use your computer for, as such that you would need more than 4GB of RAM... and which OS are you running (including the architecture)? To answer your question, adding another two sticks for a total of 8GB means populating all four DIMM slots. With all four slots populated you may need to apply more vNB (vMCH) and / or Vdimm, loosen the RAM sub-timings and / or Performance Level (tRD), set Clock Crossing's to a less aggressive level, etc.

Back