• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some questions reguarding RAM choice ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sleepymatt

Registered
I have a very nice person here sending me a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP. I will probably purchase a AMD X3 710 and attempt to OC it.

I am looking to purchase some RAM - either 2gb or 4gb depending on what you guys suggest. Basically I am able to spend ~$60CAD. I will most likely be running windows vista (maybe 7 ... but for now vista). My main question is would I be better off going for better quality ram but only 2GB or lesser quality ram and 4GB. I will def. want to overclock - i have never overclocked a computer in my life but am ready and willing to learn and attempt. I hear corsair ram is pretty good but after reading some comments on newegg it sounds like quite a few people are having issues getting rebate money back. I don't expect too much out of the overclock but a little extra boost would be great. My other question is what does this mean 'Cl 5-5-5-18'? I was looking at DDR2 6400 ram and saw this 'CL4-4-4-15' as well as others with the end number changing between 12,15,18 ... just wondering how to make sense of this and what it tells you?

Thanks!
Matt

better to get better quality RAM imo
especially if you're going to be overclocking

those numbers are timings
the long and short of it is: the lower the better
i've tried reading about exactly what those numbers mean and how they work and it's waaaay over my head lol

it's usually a trade off with RAM
high speed and high timings vs low speeds and low timings
either way, the difference between 800MHz @ 4-4-4-12 and 1066MHz @ 5-5-5-15 have no real world difference other than the 1066MHz giving more headroom to overclock you won't notice the difference between 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-15

Back