• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think it's dead...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shiver_8

Registered
Alright so I was around the forum and I heard on the heatsinks on the 750i ftw's (well actually any evga board) they put an absolute load of tim. In my overclocking I needed more voltage on the NB, but it ran pretty hot. Thinking that replacing the tim on there may save me a few degrees (which it did, about 10 C) I decided to give it a shot.

So, I pulled off the one unit of the NB, SB, and mosfet heatsink. I removed the excess junk, reapplied paste in the proper manner, and slapped the heatsink back on. The system was up and running instantly with no bugs.

I used it for maybe 5 hours fiddling with different voltages and speeds (trying to get 4.2ghz on my e8400) and I was starting to get bored. I pulled of my case side panel and started dusting some of the parts inside the case while it was running a stress test. Half way through my dusting the stress test failed. I powered off and left it off until I was finished. However, when I was cleaning the fins and fan of the NB heatsink, I had to disconnect the fan wire to get behind it. Well, I forgot to plug it back into the board. I then booted up the PC (still not knowing it was disconnected) and went into BIOS.

By this time I was done fiddling and decided to set it to 3.825ghz which I know is 24/7 stable. I hit "save changes" and it rebooted with the new changes. I got to the the screen in loading windows where there is the little blue ball with the windows symbol inside of it and it has the little windows "boot-up melody" that I call it. Well, after that screen you have your account log-in menu. Between the two screens (the blue ball and log-in) the log in screen sort of fades in from the blue ball. This time starting up, it was all glitchy with jagged lines, which is usually associated with a bad overclock. Finding this weird, as I know the system is totally stable with these settings, I go into BIOS again and double check all settings. Everything is normal.

I look inside my case and sure enough I find the fan is disconnected. I plug it back in and I think problem solved. But, just to be sure, I decide to reset all defaults (back to 3ghz) . I reboot, and the same glitchy loading happens. I go into windows, and it freezes after a few seconds. I shut it off and leave it for 10 minutes or so. I start it up and same problem, but this time it's worse, because it won't even get past post. It will detect my video card, ram, blah blah but then it gets to my sata devices and it just hangs there.

I repeated reboots and at one point it actually posted and got past it but it then froze in the windows loading bar screen. I have no clue what has happened other than I basically fried the SB, since it controls the sata devices. I double checked all connections to my devices they are all connected. Sorry for the page-long post, but I don't think I could've said less and still made sense.

If I have to take off the heatsink and re-do the application I'm all out of tim and I'm not ordering more to take 5 days to get here and it will "maybe" fix it, so screw it I will just get a new motherboard, as this one really has been a pain in the a** since day one. I know I sound hypocritical but if anyone can help me get this thing running it would be great. Thanks.

I know it doesn't sound conforting, but your explanation is alarmingly spot-on.

I can't think of anything else. Try setting the NB voltages even lower that those in the default configuration.

Other than that, i find that memtests and alikes will not yeld any results whatsoever.

If you needed an excuse to buy a new mobo then it's your lucky day.

Hope it gets well soon though.

I know it doesn't sound conforting, but your explanation is alarmingly spot-on.

I can't think of anything else. Try setting the NB voltages even lower that those in the default configuration.

Other than that, i find that memtests and alikes will not yeld any results whatsoever.

If you needed an excuse to buy a new mobo then it's your lucky day.

Hope it gets well soon though.
I am getting a new board, already decided. This one is just a pain in the arse. I am going to try using the reset buttons,etc. everything to try to get it running again so I can use my PC in the meantime while waiting for a new board. Any suggestions for an socket 775, DDR2, good overclocking (500mhz+) motherboard? Preferrably not EVGA or XFX or any of the nvidia crap. :bang head

I ended up getting the Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P. It was a good deal and got free shipping, and by the reviews and forums it is nothing but a good quality board that oc's well at a low price. That's my cup of tea :)

Huh? Corrupted the install I'm not following. Windows was installed long before this happened.

I would rebuild that system outside the case, clean everything, and try to boot with minimal hardware, 1stick of memory, video, then stick an hdd on there and try to load windows. also reset the bios with the clear cmos jumper if you havent done so already. also, you can just go to just about any computer store and buy some silicone grease and re-apply the heatsinks. it's alot cheaper than buying a new mobo.

Last edited:
Out of everything you listed, the only thing I didn't do was reapply the sinks. My system was built mid-January, so it's not like time has taken a toll on the parts, it's just a faulty board. I have reset the cmos and everything and it simply won't load past freezing at the windows loading bar. I haven't tried re-installing vista but I'm really skeptical that would be the cause because it's working, I shut it down, boot up 2 hours later and windows is corrupted? No, this happened right after I forgot to plug in the NB fan off when I had the board at 2076 mhz fsb and 1.5v on the nb. I obviously fried something.

Back