• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CompUSA returns!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
really....

"I had never heard of the brand. But given the price and size, I thought this is a great bargain," says Alkalay.

they could atleast call it TigerDirect do something like Microcenter does.

Actually it makes a lot of sense and matching TD's online prices is pretty awesome, they do have good deals from time to time. Their shipping isn't usually that great, although not terrible either, so paying sales tax won't be a big deal for the 'have it now' appeal of a B&M. The CompUSA name is/was a well-known name and I'm sure that buying the name was part of the consideration in the buyout. Hopefully they will expand to more B&M locations, especially those vacated by CC, that would bring back some serious competition to BB. Too bad BB gutted their pricematch policy, imagine pricematching tD to BB heh.

As for that woman, not knowing the brand probably wouldn't have made a bit of difference unless she got one of the 'big names' like Sony, Pioneer, Samsung who do their own advertising. It sounds as if she's not exactly the most informed buyer :p

I do hope they reopen the one down here. All I got in my area is a BB and when I need something quick, they don't got it. If they open Compusa with similar prices to TD online, for me it would be a great alternative when I make a huge order where shipping from the egg ruins the deal (I get charged sales tax at Newegg so sometimes buying local works out well)

well it looks like TigerDirect switch there few outlet stores to CompUSA. so the name branding is what they are shooting for. there business model should be Microcenter atmosphere. Crap everywhere but they have what you want at a good price.

I do hope they reopen the one down here. All I got in my area is a BB and when I need something quick, they don't got it. If they open Compusa with similar prices to TD online, for me it would be a great alternative when I make a huge order where shipping from the egg ruins the deal (I get charged sales tax at Newegg so sometimes buying local works out well)

ur gonna get charged sales tax regardless...

it will be interesting to see if the oxnard compusa location is gonna reopen. As frys is kitty corner across the freeway about 1mile and best buy is right across the street.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I wanted them to DIE for making Egghead software go out of business..

well it looks like TigerDirect switch there few outlet stores to CompUSA. so the name branding is what they are shooting for. there business model should be Microcenter atmosphere. Crap everywhere but they have what you want at a good price.

They just did that here with their Miami stores. The logos on the US-1 store were changed literally overnight.

Still, as long as this doesn't equate to a change in pricing I'm ok with it as they usually have the same prices as Newegg when shipping isn't factored in at the store. Their prices on videocards are ridiculous though.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I wanted them to DIE for making Egghead software go out of business..

Oh PLEASE... I used to work for Egghead, and Compusa sure as hell didn't make us go out of business... Idiotic management made us go out of business. :)

I hope they at least reopen a store in St.Louis as this town is gimped for a decent parts depot. I'm sincerely jealous of people that live by Fry's, what I wouldn't give to sift thru Batch codes for once...

Sigh...

i hope they reopen the one thats 20 minutes from where i live would make buying certain parts alot easier

ur gonna get charged sales tax regardless...

it will be interesting to see if the oxnard compusa location is gonna reopen. As frys is kitty corner across the freeway about 1mile and best buy is right across the street.

That store(COMP USA) was the worst. I lived in Thousand Oaks and tried shopping there a few times.

I hope they at least reopen a store in St.Louis as this town is gimped for a decent parts depot. I'm sincerely jealous of people that live by Fry's, what I wouldn't give to sift thru Batch codes for once...

Sigh...

I used to shop at Fry's before they got really big. I like Micro Center more. Plus the sales reps do not go ghost like Fry's. Another cool perk about Micro Center. Least in my experience. They have internet enabled terminals in the store, you can cross reference parts on. To me it is worth the 75 mile round trip to Micro Center. For alright sales help in general. Plus they are polite as heck, and in a way bug you wanting to help you. Least in a good way.. Fry's I always felt like I was bothering them.. Or going to get stock for me... Waiting sometimes over a half hour. If it was not for the prices. They would be just like Circuit City. If your going to wish for a brick and mortar.. Wish for a Micro Center. :)

If I need a part that only Fry's carries. My sister is a block from one. I just have her go shopping for me and cherry pick if she can.

CompUSA always reminded me of Office Max or Staples in a way.

Last edited:
“With less brick and mortar competition around, people will give CompUSA a chance.”
That is very true. My market, Southcentral Alaska, has only a Worst Buy and mom & pops with no selection and sky high prices. Our CompUSA was well-stocked, had fairly knowledgeable staff, and actually was very profitable - one of the very few. With all the rebates and specials, quite often items there were better than I could get them for online, especially with shipping factored in. Compared to Best Buy, it was heaven for computer parts. Best Buy makes me almost want to throw up. Unfortunately, our CompUSA went down with the poorly managed mothership..

Sure, there's online purchasing, but if the vendor, such as Newegg, only offers FEDEX and UPS, shipping can be horrendous. Generally I stick with online sellers like Amazon, which generally have much better rates on shipping. There are also a few vendors out there now that offer USPS Priority Flat Rate, which is about one day longer for shipping than FEDEX 2-day but 1/3 the cost. But I digress.

On a business trip a month ago I had the opportunity to visit a Fry's. I know some of you guys poo-poo Fry's and Microcenter, but frankly, you must be spoiled! :) I was quite impressed.

I would welcome a CompUSA back up here!

Back