• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Last of Us PC has... issues...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My medium textures are nowhere near as blurry as their sample, but agreed it's a big difference to High, same as (to my eyes) 1440p is a big difference in quality/sharpness to 1080p, also next to zero difference from high to ultra, but big fps drop, made me wonder if the game is not using ultra shaders at high by mistake. I have noticed in some areas it takes a few seconds to a couple of minutes to load higher quality textures, similar to what you see in Borderlands, same if you change graphic settings in-game. Mine is nowhere near as CPU intensive as the 3600x after shaders, so core count seems to make a big difference?

EDIT: just patched to 1.0.6.1, game is night and day compared to the original, no more shader/texture problems (so far), medium settings is closer to high, more fps and, scene/movement/load stutter nearly completely gone, much impressed :thup:

Last edited:
EDIT: just patched to 1.0.6.1, game is night and day compared to the original, no more shader/texture problems (so far), medium settings is closer to high, more fps and, scene/movement/load stutter nearly completely gone, much impressed :thup:
It's been one week since launch. Would we still be discussing it in this way had they delayed it a week and launched with the current patch?

It's been one week since launch. Would we still be discussing it in this way had they delayed it a week and launched with the current patch?
IMO no, the only real issue would have been the VRAM needed to play it and the controversy that comes with it, as it stands there are still a few more things that need attention, but nothing game-breaking, nothing that stops you from having the full experience :shrug:

We'd be in the same position. Early adopters are now beta testers.

Has game beta testing gone away?

Stares at 3090's 24GB of RAM... You ready? LoL

We'd be in the same position. Early adopters are now beta testers.

Has game beta testing gone away?
A little yes, a little no.

AAA games are *massive* software projects now. And like many projects, QA plays a backseat.

It used to be there were maybe two programmers, two designers, and a sound guy working on a game and all debugging at the end because they all had a stake in it. Now you may have 100+ people working on it, with just a handful testing.

So while games are tested internally, there's no way to catch everything.

Is that an excuse? No, in many cases - such as this - delaying a few weeks to a month can solve a good chunk of the problems. But, well, it's a business :shrug:

Is that an excuse? No, in many cases - such as this - delaying a few weeks to a month can solve a good chunk of the problems. But, well, it's a business :shrug:
This is why I have slowed down my paying for games. No sense in paying full price to have issues and sour me to a game.

Now I play old games, free to play games, discounted several month old games and etc.

While I am sure there are many people who are still willing pay full price on release day. But, I'm sure there are many like me who hold off because we've been the victims of poor game story/play and glitches too often.

I bought it on launch day, I haven't bought a game on launch since I used to pre order on PS2 and that was only MGS2 and FF10 but this game took 1hr 15mins to do shaders, I don't have the most powerful rig in fact my RX580 is now in need of an upgrade because it's not even supported with Dead Space Remake I have to use FSR to get that to work and it doesn't look the best. RDR2 plays like a dream to me even though I know if I had a high end GPU it would look even more amazing, but patch 1.03 broke the game even more for me textures are always stuck on low. A new patch is supposedly coming end of week

Last edited:
Just saw patch 1.0.5.0 notes, presuming patch is also out. Of particular note:

• Reduced the VRAM impact of texture quality settings, allowing most players to increase their texture quality settings or experience improved performance with their current settings

I noticed 1.0.4.0 also said it increased texture quality at low and medium. One of the complaints at launch was that 8GB GPUs had to go down to Medium textures, which looked crap. Wonder how Medium looks now compared to earlier, and if the latest patch means 8GB GPUs can go to High?

Finally, a patch worth bragging about, VRAM usage is much lower and image quality looks better (on medium and low), with several new options in the visual tab, new biggest hitter being Texture Streaming Rate, ~1.3gb difference from “normal” to “fastest”. @1440p w/DLSS quality I had an ungodly mix of High/Medium with some completely off to stay just below the 8gb cap, now I'm running a mix of Ultra/High ~7.3gb. Shaders only took ~10m on 1st run and campaign/DLC were running separate, oddly enough. Roughly same FPS, slightly better CPU/GPU usage, better image quality, much less stuttering, win-win :thup:

State of current patch tested.
  • Medium textures look a lot better. Slightly softer than high, but much better than the blurry mess of before.
  • General reduction in VRAM requirements. 8GB GPUs can run high textures now.
  • New slider to influence how textures are loaded - can set bigger cache for higher VRAM
  • Minor improvement in CPU usage. Example gives ~10% uplift in fps when CPU limited.
  • Shader compilation times reduced further, but added some new instances of shader compilation stutter.
  • No change in performance drop when streaming data for upcoming areas
Pretty much what Kenrou said a week ago!

Not sure if I should be impressed by the speed of the patches coming out or the sheer volume of fixes each patch brings.................
I agree, but I think I am leaning on the finally they are listening or getting it better.. NOW I will start this game soon.
Good info guys, Thanks.

The Last Of Us Part 1 | UPDATED OPTIMIZATION GUIDE | Graphics Settings Performance | Best Settings

To be honest I never bought PC games on day 1 not even in the 90s let alone now. Half Life 1/2 & MGS were exceptions. I played The Last of Us at ultra and no issues. Used most my RAM though, I would say could do with a tad more than 16GB...

I have wanted to buy this game. I have seen the TV show, and it looks cool. How many quests or chapters does the game have its in my wish list.

Back