• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing single and double rank memory? (Not talking channels)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mastrdrver

I was flipping through Everest the other day and noticed that the two pairs of memory I have have different rank/bank arrangements. One pair I got about 3 years ago when I first put the system together, with a different board, has 2 rank 4 bank and the second I got middle of last year has 1 rank 8 bank. They were both the same size XMS2 dimms, but the first pair I got had different timings on them. They read 5-5-5-12 on the stick (even though CPU-z and Everest read them as 5-5-5-18) while the newer ones were 5-5-5-18. Both were at 1.8V and I've never had problems running them all at the rated 800mhz at 5-5-5-15 with the P5Q that I have now. I'm guessing it has to do with the way the modules are configured on the sticks, but I havn't seen much more talk about than that. The XMS2 sticks are all 1gb sticks and they all have the same part number.

I was just wondering if running different rank/bank arrangements can cause problems when it comes to overclocking the memory and/or the system?

thanks

Back