• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I Update My BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xilix

I noticed I'm on the F3 BIOS, I never updated it. Since there's been an F5, 6, 7, 8 and a Beta 9. The thing is, it doesn't look like the new BIOS's correct or support anything relevant to me at all. Like support for Yorkfield, Wolfdale, PS2 keyboards ect.. nothing I need.

Everyone says you should always update your BIOS to the latest, but if the new BIOS isn't providing anything personally relevant, I don't exactly see a point. Are there other bugs that were fixed that aren't listed on the website?

Bios update is usually needed when the system is having issues with hardware/ocing.

I, personally, like to keep my board's bios up to date, so when a new bios comes out I usually go for it. But then that's how I am.

You can, however, update your bios to the latest official bios. It won't hurt anything. Just be sure you read the instructions on how to update your bios. Also be aware that you can kill your board if the bios flash goes south.

If you're not having any type of issue and your system is running normally as it should, then you don't need the bios update.

Cool, thanks for the information. Updating the BIOS doesn't scare me too much, but it has gone south for me once. I'm just one of those guys that has REALLY bad luck. Though this system has treated me very well. I still can't believe how good this board is for OC'ing considering it's under $100.

I'm going to be picking up the new Gigabyte board soon with the dual BIOS. I think mine has some kind of BIOS protection though. Once in a blue moon I'll boot my machine and it'll say "recovering BIOS image from hard drive" ..... BIOS Recovery Successful". Then all my BIOS settings are default. Not sure if that would actually protect my machine from a flash gone wrong though.

Thanks again for the info.

Ugh, dude, this is ironic, but I just came home today to my rig and turned it on, and it wasn't posting at all. Naturally, I freaked. I was trying everything to no avail, and then I decided to take out the RAM sticks and use only one, in a slot I don't normally use, and it immediately did the ""recovering BIOS image from hard drive" thing...

So I put the other back in, go upstairs to tell my girl the good news and we chat and then watch a show for 30 minutes. I then go back down, and it's not posting again. Weird. So I do the same thing again, put the one stick in the off slot and then posted. I immediately shut it down, put the other stick in the corresponding slot and then booted. It posted and I'm running now. I just don't understand what's happening. It's really creepin' me out. You think my bard is dying? Maybe a bad battery?

Of all times for this to happen, I'm currently looking into getting a new PSU and a GTX 2xx. I have JUST enough money to make it happen right now. Then after that I was going to save for a while for the new Gigabyte board with the dual BIOS and 2oz Copper PCB.

Any ideas on what may be causing this BIOS issue?

I am the exception to the rule here...as far as bios goes (for me anyway) if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm still on the F2 bios and I see no reason I need to change it.
Like you said...if there is nothing relevant to your setup then why do you need it?
Just because it's new, don't mean that it's better or even good.
Read the issues solved and see if it applies to you....that should help you decide.

I think it is about time I at least look at the new bios's for my rig and see if any issues apply to my setup though.
Good luck

I'm afraid to even shut my rig off now in fear that it won't post. I don't get it, I've never heard of a problem like this before.

Once thing I did change lately was the tRD. I lowered it one tick to see if that would help performance, noting this guide here...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245679-29-guide-overclocking-ds3l-updated-2008#t1742852

I dunno, I have everything running stock now and I'm not sure what to do next other than cross my fingers in hopes that the posting issue is a fluke.

Back