• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which One Would You Rather Get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonkeyMhz

This is more of a "What you prefer" topic.
And why you would prefer one over the other.

Voodoo Envy vs MacBook Air

Thickness:
006-macbook-air-voodoo-envy_medium.JPG

MacBook Air Specs/Beauty:

Weight: 3.0 lbs.
Battery Life: 5 hrs.

CPU: C2D 2.13GHz
HDD: 128GB SSD
RAM: 2GB of 1066MHz DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

Cost: $1,799.00

MacBook-Air-6.jpg
11610243.jpg

11610243.jpg

Voodoo Envy Specs/Beauty:

Weight: 3.373 lbs.
Battery Life: 4 hrs.

CPU: 1.8GHz Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo
HDD: 80GB SSD
RAM: 2048MB DDR2
GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Cost: $1,799.99

hp-voodoo-envy-133.jpg

voodoo_envy_133.jpg

005-voodoo-envy-133_medium.JPG

Conclusion: Well looks like Apple still leads the way in laptops for work. But If I had a choice Id still go for the Envy, its much nicer looking (imo) and for a portable notebook like that a 9400 isn't much use. But this is one of the rare occasions where you would get more for your money with a Mac if you wanted such a small form laptop.

But I don't buy the small portable laptops usually, I get the big power house clunkers that weight 7+ lbs.

Whats your opinions?...

Envy for sure..

The Air is not all its cracked up to be. Its thin, thats about it.

The Air no doubt; better battery life, can run OS X if you wish, better performance, bigger SSD, weighs less, same price.

In long run Id say the Envy is better. Because Im pretty sure the envy would probably last longer. Ive had nothing but trouble with nvidia mobile cards not to mention the 8400m/8600m, 9400m/9600m all have very high % of ones with bad bumps so it would only be a matter of time before it fails.

However, for everything else besides, looks, and long lasting, the Mac is hands down a slap to the envys face. But thats Mac for ya, good portable student/lightweight work targeted stuff.

a non removable battery doesn't bother me one single bit compared to the Air's advantages; at this point though it becomes a matter of opinion and what you want as opposed to which is objectively better.

a non removable battery doesn't bother me one single bit compared to the Air's advantages; at this point though it becomes a matter of opinion and what you want as opposed to which is objectively better.

That really doesnt make much sense. Generally speaking the battery is the first thing to get replaced in a laptop and you know when its time to replace it. Most laptop batteries only last a couple of years when its heavily used.

For an Air, it has to be shipped back to apple to be replaced and who knows how long that takes.

For the Envy, you can get a new battery easily.

apple claims battery lifespans that are far longer than the industry average. now, even if you don't believe apple's claims at all it still wouldn't mean much to me. i replace my mobile computer every 2 years (at most) which is hardly enough usage time to justify the new cost of a battery anyway.

let me say again: what we're beginning to argue here is what the individual wants in the notebook.

apple claims battery lifespans that are far longer than the industry average. now, even if you don't believe apple's claims at all it still wouldn't mean much to me. i replace my mobile computer every 2 years (at most) which is hardly enough usage time to justify the new cost of a battery anyway.

let me say again: what we're beginning to argue here is what the individual wants in the notebook.

I agree.

Last edited:
despite my vouching for the Air, i'm still rather happy that i went with a netbook (in sig) for my ultraportable this past weekend. it's such a relief knowing you don't have to be so paranoid about your laptop being stolen when it only costs $300 as opposed to some of the pricier optical drive-less portables.

In long run Id say the Envy is better. Because Im pretty sure the envy would probably last longer. Ive had nothing but trouble with nvidia mobile cards not to mention the 8400m/8600m, 9400m/9600m all have very high % of ones with bad bumps so it would only be a matter of time before it fails.

However, for everything else besides, looks, and long lasting, the Mac is hands down a slap to the envys face. But thats Mac for ya, good portable student/lightweight work targeted stuff.

Voodoo's are POS's though. My friend owned one. Lasted him 2 years. Long run? No.

Envy for sure..

The Air is not all its cracked up to be. Its thin, thats about it.

The ENVY has worse hardware. That's rule number 1 here. :bang head

Back