• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next System - Reccomendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Murgy91

Registered
Hello everyone, Im looking for any input on my next system, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

So I always grew up with computers and networks, having had CISCO and Microsoft training I recently wanted a career change into IT, so invested in a new custom build about a year ago, Specs Below;

Asus P9X79-E WS Socket 2011 8-Channel HD Audio CEB Motherboard
Intel Core i7 4930K 3.40GHZ Socket 2011 12MB Cache
Kingston HyperX Genesis XMP 16GB 2400MHz DDR3
Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO

A fantastic bit of kit for what I wanted at the time.

I never made the move the made as a job opportunity in my current field came up which I am now in until Late 2016. The job involves a lot of travelling usually a new country everyday which is why I am unable to use my desktop computer. I have with me a 2012 Macbook Pro with the above SSD inside and 16gb of RAM. The laptop is getting a bit tired, if it wasn't for the SSD it would need throwing. I only use to use the laptop on occasion but now its permanent so I also want to make the change back to Windows.

So my conundrum;

Space isn't always at a high and often I like to lay in bed and watch a film or TV-Series so I'm thinking Id love a Surface Pro 3 - high battery life and portable with a fully usable os which would be great when I'm at a internet cafe. I've got 3 external HDD to store data on.

However

For work I do need to edit/convert video and in my spare time I also do love to play games, laptops aren't ideal compared to desktops but a gaming laptop would be good.

I can't justify spending money on both, do I get a gaming laptop or Surface Pro.. Or a gaming laptop and possibly a tablet for the films.. or an Xbox and a surface pro?

Can anyone think of something maybe I haven't considered? Thanks for any input!

Hi Murgy91 -- That's a tough choice! For a thin/light laptop, it would be great for travel but struggle with video editing and gaming. A gaming laptop would fulfill the gaming/video editing needs but be heavier/bulkier for travel. Do you want the small motorcycle or the large truck/SUV? ;)

Given that your work requires you to edit/convert video I would stay away from any tablet or ultrabook equivalent. Something "middle of the road" with (dedicated) discrete graphics would give you the video editing and light-moderate gaming, but also not weigh a ton for ease of travel. I suppose it really depends on what type of gaming (light, moderate, hard-core) as that will drive the laptop and GPU choice.

Not sure if that is helpful but I hope you find a solution that meets your needs.

Safe travels! :)

It is helpful thank you, I was just after a few peoples opinions on what they would get in my place.. Thanks for the advice :)

What kind of games are you trying to play on the laptop?
As Jmtyra said, the GPU in the laptop needs to be picked by what gaming you do.

What about a cheap little tablet for the light internet stuff, and build you a super portable HTPC (assuming you stay in hotels, most any is going to have an HDTV you can hook into)? I mean, your considering an Xbox, right?

You could check out Atmin's little power build in his sig. That's something like what I would recommend for you.

Check this out:

Corsair 250D

Asrock Z97E-ITX/AC

MSI GTX 980 with free game

RAM

550w PSU

250GB SSD

Total cost is a bit steep though at $1313.93, but that's about what you'd spend on a high end gaming laptop. You can also customize how you see fit, and upgrade as parts get older.

Also, I put a 980 in there, but realistically you don't need it. A 970 can currently max anything out at 1080p.

Last edited:
What kind of games are you trying to play on the laptop?
As Jmtyra said, the GPU in the laptop needs to be picked by what gaming you do.

Very good question, I should have said this originally.. Not to heavy I don't think, GTA V - Star Trek Online - Assains Creed - Bio Shock..

What about a cheap little tablet for the light internet stuff, and build you a super portable HTPC (assuming you stay in hotels, most any is going to have an HDTV you can hook into)? I mean, your considering an Xbox, right?

I never considered this, great idea I think. I might even be able to salvage some parts I bought last year like the memory/SSD etc... The only thing is when I don't have a TV and then also carrying the peripherals around.. But I do like the idea.. Another thing for me to consider ha.

Im thinking the same thing for the Tablet.. It would be much better to get the laptop/HTPC and a tablet rather than the surface.. but To get a Windows or android Tablet is the question, Never had a windows one before only android and apple. Any Recommendations?

Love the Spec of the build for the HTPC.. definitely something I could live with :p Just need to decide on the HTPC or laptop..

I like the idea of a tablet and a mini PC.

The Hadron fits a full size GPU while only coming in at 12"x12"x6".
I've carried it in to hotels before, LOL, and it's very easy to do.

what did you do with the peripharals? Keyboard/mouse in the bag? would you go for an android tablet? Ive very little knowledge on windows tablets,

I love the look of the case as well, looks slick.. its definitely a strong option!

what did you do with the peripharals? Keyboard/mouse in the bag? would you go for an android tablet? Ive very little knowledge on windows tablets,

I love the look of the case as well, looks slick.. its definitely a strong option!

Yep, just toss them in the bag. And my headset folds up into a hardshell case.

If you're just watching shows/videos on the tablet (basically not going for lots of work stuff on it) then I would go Android.

Android tablets are generally less expensive for the same hardware tier. You could probably get away with a simple $80 10.1" tab from Walmart or BestBuy.

You could grab a nice backpack for the keyboard, mouse, tablet and other miscellaneous things. Something like you would get for a laptop would work beautifully.

Had a bit of a think, I decided that HTPC might not be the best option, just for portability and it would stop me been able to use WIFI cafe's to download. Having a dedicated GPU would be a great option though.. Maybe it will be a Gaming Laptop and cheap tablet... Or the top spec Surface Pro3 and cheap tablet and take abit of a hit of the gaming.. heart is telling me surface pro3 (looks like a better toy), head is telling me gaming laptop....

It's telling me I don't have permission to see the page :-/ ..

Its that portability of a tablet and that sleek look which is so appealing but as you say, practiciaility may be better for a gaming laptop.. Im not up to date which gaming laptops at all.. or laptops for that matter.. any recommendation on laptops?

Rough idea of the games ill be playing:
Assigns Creeds
Splinter Cells
Call Of Duty
Far Cry 4
GTA V..

Thanks guys much appreciated.

Sorry, it's in the Classifieds, didn't realize you couldn't see in there yet.

Like I said before, you NEED a dedicated GPU for gaming like you'll be playing.
Get the idea out of your head for a tablet for those games because it simply won't happen.

As for recommendations on laptops, I don't have any without a budget.

Ohh are there restrictions? is it a certain amount of posts?

Id say the max would be what id spend on the tablet so $1800, I'm looking at this as an investment so I think your right, get the idea of the tablet out of my head and get a dedicated GPU.

I'd look at putting about $1500 into the laptop then get something like a Nexus 7 for watching stuff in bed.

Have you looked at Sager laptops?

Great idea, and its a win win for me :)

I haven't but ill take a look now, haven't heard of Sager tbh but I am originally from the UK, i don't think its that big there? Will have a look now, Im in New York in 3 weeks so hopefully get it delivered there. Ill have a look now and let you know which ones I'm considering?

Sounds good.
They're highly customizable gaming laptops, top of the line stuff.

Im thinking;

http://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=755.. Thats just under the budget and give me room to spend a bit upgrading the screen or memory..

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 11.16.05.png Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 11.09.21.png

Im leaning towards the memory I think get the 32GB Dual Channel instead of the QFHD screen? Just trying to think what I will get the advantage of more. Ill also add the SSD i have in my Macbook Now.

Thoughts?

I would use the money to upgrade the M.2 SSD, personally.
The 16GB configuration is plenty for you and can be upgraded very easily later if necessary.
Don't go with the 4K screen, it's a waste on something that small.

Back