• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATX/mATX motherboard with IGP that can play Sims 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zbo

Simply do they exist?

I'm trying to spec up a HTPC for me and my girlfriend, and shes asked that it's able to play Sims 3 well, the screen res would be 1080p but shes quite happy playing at 720p.

I'd be putting a e8400 and 4gb 800mhz in it, and when I upgrade my GFX moving that down to the HTPC. Lower price would be better, let say a maxium of £100.

Also I'm in the UK so please dont send me links to amazing deals on newegg etc, I see them all the time and it makes me cry. Unless you want to get it and ship it to me as a gift :):)

Okay so heres a bit of MoSCoW for you, a cookie to anyone that knows about the MoSCoW rule without using the wiki link at the bottom. :)

Must have:
- ATX/mATX
- 3+ SATA
- 775 Socket compatable with E8400
- IGP that can play Sims 3
- Dual Channel memory

Should have:
- PCI-E 16x slot so I can pass down my graphics card when I upgrade. (260GTX)
- 4 RAM slots
- DVI/HDMI output for the IGP

Could Have
- SLI support
- eSATA on the IO

Would like to have
- Be an all black motherboard

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

A wiki for all of those that are confused! :)

Edit:
Just seen this, XFX GeForce 9300, what you guys think? I seems to tick all the boxes, but would the 9300 be able to play Sims?

Last edited:
It will be able to play Sims 3 but not at 1080p, you would be lucky to get 10 fps. That motherboard should be fine as long as you don't plan on doing heavy overclocking.

Not sure such a board exists, as far as i know if you want decent IGP you need an AMD 790GX chipset, which is of course AMD cpu only.

I'd say Nvidia 9400 is the best IGP right now but it is still worse than a last-gen low-end discrete card.

Here is the performance at 1680x1050:
sims1.png

Okay, I think I'll just get a cheeper mobo and spring for a real gpu. It's simplier in the long run. Cheers for your help guys.

Back