• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Revival Meeting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
I have a bead on a z690m DS3H motherboard for about 134 bucks.

I have a problem pulling the trigger on a used z390 for 100 when I could get a new z690 for like 34 bucks more.

Hopefully my DDR4 ram would still work on it.

The only problem then would be the CPU.

Since this problem was QUITE unexpected... about the most I could afford would be a 12400f... but I'm EXTREMELY HESITANT to ever get a CPU without IGP again...

Or should I already be looking at the z790 series?

Really I just want to get out of this JAM that I'm in. (and all this is assuming my reflash trick in the other ongoing thread doesn't work.)

My advice is always to get the best you can/want to afford.

The iGPU thing.... that's on you. If you want/need it, you do. Otherwise, consider buying some potato GPU to have on hand just in case.

No luck finding an 8000/9000 CPU that doesn't break the bank?

If it were me going for the newer system, I would just spent the extra $15 the 12400 instead of the 12400f. Yes, you should be able to keep your DDR4.

I roughly had the same thing but with a z490 that was for sale on here. I didn’t want to break the bank on the CPU - BUT - I still wanted to be able to OC it if I wanted to. I ended up grabbing the i5-10600k as that was the lowest that still supported OCing. I have since been able to snag a z590 apex for $200 with shipping to add to my collection.
As others will tell you - not all MBs are created = and Some will even hinder your OCing. Not sure what z390 board you are looking at?

I roughly had the same thing but with a z490 that was for sale on here. I didn’t want to break the bank on the CPU - BUT - I still wanted to be able to OC it if I wanted to. I ended up grabbing the i5-10600k as that was the lowest that still supported OCing. I have since been able to snag a z590 apex for $200 with shipping to add to my collection.
As others will tell you - not all MBs are created = and Some will even hinder your OCing. Not sure what z390 board you are looking at?

I was looking at ANY of them. They're getting hard to come by here in France now. If I had a CPU with IGP then this problem would already be OVER... maybe. Sigh... Such a frustrating problem.

No luck finding an 8000/9000 CPU that doesn't break the bank?

If it were me going for the newer system, I would just spent the extra $15 the 12400 instead of the 12400f. Yes, you should be able to keep your DDR4.

You know... I looked and I actually did find some old celeron (I think you had recommended I do this...) It was just before I went to sleep so I forgot all about it!

Here it is: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/195533415608?hash=item2d86b324b8:g:37sAAOSwPoJjgyhc

Can someone confirm that this would work (with the z390) and has IGP?

(I'm also assuming that my CH341a flash attempt will kill the bios... But we'll see!)

Last edited:
Yes, it is on the Z390m CPU support list, and it has iGPU support. Sorry, I can't figure out how to change the spacing of two lines I copy/pasted.

VendorCPU ModelFrequencyL3
Cache
GPU Info.Core NameProcessSteppingWattageBCLKSince BIOS Version
IntelCeleron G4900T2.90GHz2MB350 MHz / 1050 MHzCoffee Lake14nmB035W100F1

Last edited:
Get one with graphics. Then if this happens again you won't be kicking yourself over your choice to save a few dollars.

Yeah... I ordered the G4900T. Hopefully that bails me out. Now I've just gotta find some thermal paste...

I must admit to not going into this with a lot of optimism... especially given how my year began...

PXL_20230120_102531647.jpg

...but what the hell? Let's do the thing.

PXL_20230120_102608133.jpg

I'll be damned...! :O

PXL_20230120_104752055.jpg

Now here comes the heartbreaker...

PXL_20230120_105932154.MP.jpg

...but it came out alright!

Thanks to everybody who pitched in advice in this thread and ESPECIALLY whoever had the idea to buy a cheap (50 bucks) Celeron processor! I honestly had no idea that they even still made those. The cheapest 1151 8th/9th gen Intels that I was previously looking at cost about as much as their 12th Gen equivalents. Plus the cost of a new motherboard and all that... Would've been a kick in the teeth to have to do that over one bios change.

Still... Even THIS was too much. Especially given the state of mind I was in after my moto had just died the same day.

To recap:

1. With the Celeron and the HDMI attached to the motherboard the screen popped-up right away saying that the bios had been reset and I needed to go into settings. It's probably said that all along and I just couldn't see it. Not that I could've done anything about it since it would've required a mouse click.

2. Secure Boot was STILL enabled after everything I've thrown at this bios. Removing the CMOS... pin shorting... trying to use a flasher to reflash it. I needed that Celeron to go in and disable it. That was the only way. I'm (obviously) never using that again. Absolutely terrible idea altogether. Hopefully, on newer motherboards, they've figured out a better implementation or dropped it altogether.

3. Went back to ALL the original settings. Maybe re-enabling CSM wasn't necessary... but the hell with it. It was working with that enabled for YEARS so I'm not going to start messing with it now.

Last edited:
i still think this is an unreasonable process to get to a state in which the PC will post.
i mean yay it works but still whatta **** show to get to this point.

resetting the bios should have been all that it takes. hopefully after your update it shouldnt be a problem any more

i still think this is an unreasonable process to get to a state in which the PC will post.
i mean yay it works but still whatta **** show to get to this point.

resetting the bios should have been all that it takes. hopefully after your update it shouldnt be a problem any more

I am 10,000% in agreement with you. But if you just google around there are THOUSANDS of people that this exact same thing happened to. So I don't know if this is directly a Gigabyte issue (where the secure boot setting remains the same even after you've reset the bios, taken out the battery, and done everything else you could possibly do) or if it's a problem with that entire first gen of motherboards in the 9th gen of intel to offer Secure Boot as a feature.

I think most of the people this happened to (who reset their bios) they were the owners of Gigabyte motherboards. I did hear some stories from other about how they were able to get the thing to post with a simple CMOS clear.

That said... I'll never know if the bios update made any difference because I'll NEVER enable Secure Boot again.

Back