• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P35 Obsolete?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerius

Registered
I'm currently running an e2200 on a gigabyte p35 board, and not being in the OC game for a while it looks like everyone is using the p45 chipset. I'm wondering if i'm looking to upgrade to something like a Q9550, will hte P35 be obsolete?

Obsolete is a harsh word for what you are describing. A MUCH better overclocking chipset for 45nm quads is P45, yes. I suggest Gigabyte EP45 UD3P.

P45 can hit higher bus speeds with 45nm quads, it's the best socket 775 chipset IMO.

EP45-UD3P gets my vote as well, darned great board!

I'm running on a uni student budget, so I'm hopefully looking not to upgrade the motherboard if possible, how far can I OC that chip with the P35? Also would there be other chips that would OC better with P35 and is a good deal right now?

I think Q6600 would be a better matchup for a P35, you can get a good overclock out of those with a moderate FSB overclock.

I have a p35 a q6600, and you are gauranteed an oc of 3-3.2ghz on most mid range p35 boards, i hear that the p35 and quads go very nicely together

My q6600+Ga-p35-Ds3p is awsome! 3.2 on air,
the ga-p35-xxx series are dirt cheap and amazing oc'ers

It's worth a shot to keep your current P35 board and drop in a Q9550. See how high you can overclock the Q9550 on that. If you aren't satisfied with the results, then get yourself a P45 based board. A P35 board might still get you some decent FSB even with a 45nm Quad.

If money isn't too tight you might want to consider going with an i7 build, since you are already talking about spending money on a new cpu and board.

a good p35 board and a q6600= solid setup

i have run 475x8 on my old q66 with no troubles on my p5k-d for the winter months

i like my x48 better tho :D

That's another good option. Q6600's are going cheap in the classifieds from time to time. They can be had for $130 or less. Good ones can do 3600 pretty easily. If you don't need a quad core, you could go with an E8400. That should clock pretty well on a P35 board.

I have a gigabyte P35 board in my sons rig, it will clock the E8400 up to 4.0GHz but nothign higher, the bios is limited for high FSB and not many options for volts...
Q9950 is not the best choice of chip for that board imo, a dualie would be better choice and much cheaper a decent E8400 chip will run 4.0GHz easy on that board

Yes a 9x multi should yield 450Mhz FSB and 4Ghz. Do the math for others, but a 45nm quad needs a solid board for the best overclocks.

its not that p35 isnt solid, its just not as refined as they need to be for these lil 45nm cpus.

they are brutes, plain and simple :D

edit:

at least my asus is :D

E8600 @ 4500 is pretty impressive for a "brute". For some reason my E2200 won't go over 3GHz no matter how much vcore i put into it =( I think it's broken.

Back