• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8-pin ATX_12V doesnt match evga x58 LE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LawShadow

Hi folks,

I ordered the Corsair HX650 psu and i received it today.
But i encounter a problem with the 8-pin power cable for the cpu
Just to be sure this is my motherboard:

EVGA X58 SLI LE socket 1366 see link for understanding:

But the 8-pin power connection on the motherboard for cpu does not match the 8-pin power cable of the HX650 psu. I posted a picture see below link for clearance for what i mean. Is this a problem is this normal? Do not want to fry my cpu, so i'm a bit worried. Pleace help. ps: the 8 pin cable is from the psu itself, it is NOT MODULAR its tied with the 24 pin cable

And if you look at their resource of the psu cable-EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin then it DOES match the 8 pin on the motherboard (4 squares)! This is not exactly the same as with my psu. And i'm not willing to risc my cpu to fry. The shape of the 8 pin on the motherboard has a reason for that it has 4 square pins while mine EPS/ATX12V 8-4 has only 2, here is the link:

could not make clear photo so i drew 1.

And here is their EPS/ATX12V 8-4 on their site see resourse kinda odd picture if you trust a company and still get something wrong!

AND THIS IS WHAT I GET....notice it has just 2 squares!

thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply's

No its realy a EPS/ATX12V 8 pin power for cpu, and i do know what the difference is between 8 pin PCI-E and EPS/ATX12V 8 pin you did looked at the pictures right?

Or should i split the EPS/ATX12V 8 pin (2 x 4pin) into 4 pin and connect it into the motherboard the other half i will not connect, is this correct?

Any one having the same issue with EPS/ATX12V 8 pin cable corsair or other brand with a x58 based mb? and whats the solution?

Thanks for the reply's

No its realy a EPS/ATX12V 8 pin power for cpu, and i do know what the difference is between 8 pin PCI-E and EPS/ATX12V 8 pin you did looked at the pictures right?

Or should i split the EPS/ATX12V 8 pin (2 x 4pin) into 4 pin and connect it into the motherboard the other half i will not connect, is this correct?

Any one having the same issue with EPS/ATX12V 8 pin cable corsair or other brand with a x58 based mb? and whats the solution?
the other half might not be oriented right... i have a 650tx with no issues on X58-Gene.

*edit*
just double checked the pics, yea something isnt right...

It looks to me as if you need to detach the 2 4-pin connectors (the 8-pin connector is detachable), and connect the 4-pin w/ the 2 square keys to the corresponding 4-pin connector on the board. Looking at the picture you drew, the PSU cable 8-pin 12V when detached would use the left 4 pins. This connector would then connect to the 4-pin on the right side MB 8-pin 12V.

I have a very similiar problem.

Specs follow:

- Intel i7 920
- eVGA x58 3 x SLI Mother Board
- CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler
- Corsair TX 850 W
- Corsair Dominator 6G (3 x 2) RAM 1600MHz
- Western Digital VelociRaptor 300G HD
- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HD
- Diamond HD 5870 Video Graphics Card
- Asus 24" Monitor

BIOS sends FF when 8-pin not connected. After 8 -pin connects, no more Post messages are sent through Post LEDs, board apparently just dies with status LEDs on.
Strange, any insight anyone?

It looks to me as if you need to detach the 2 4-pin connectors (the 8-pin connector is detachable), and connect the 4-pin w/ the 2 square keys to the corresponding 4-pin connector on the board. Looking at the picture you drew, the PSU cable 8-pin 12V when detached would use the left 4 pins. This connector would then connect to the 4-pin on the right side MB 8-pin 12V.

Thanks for the reply guy's,

Yeah i had that in mind to, i did however post the same question on the support forum of corsair, just to be sure.

i'm not entirely sure why you need a better response than what ram guy gave you, it seemed helpful and well thought out

just force the plug in, and hope for the best, isn't that what you are supposed to always do?

it seemed helpful and well thought out

Well thought out for a monkey on a moped, not a decent human being answer. We are all, in bigger or smaller quantities, more technical than the average house wife so I believe a convincing answer would at least have to be a tad bit more technical too.

Well, anyways, another interesting fact is that the Corsair plug has all GND pins on one side and 12V on the other while on the eVGA manual the connection is the opposite. Probably just a printing issue but anywho.. :screwy:

You aren't crazy, but neither is Corsair. Go read http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#eps4plus4 and you'll see what's going on.

edit: BTW, the Corsair rep is completely right. No need to blast him for his correct answer.

i'm not entirely sure why you need a better response than what ram guy gave you, it seemed helpful and well thought out

just force the plug in, and hope for the best, isn't that what you are supposed to always do?

Thanks for the reply's,

No the thing is i asked a specifick question then they reply with dont worry.
I mean what kind of answer is that besides they told me their 8pin ATX12v is compatible with the motherboard at first clance its not. So i asked them if i should split their cable into two 4 pins and just connect one of the 4 pin connectors in the motherboard, they totally ingored my question.
I do think this was a legitimate question, why should i take the risk and just connect the d*mn 8 pin cable regardless if the pins dont match. Realy i'm not into those kind of risks.
And yes i already went to that link: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...html#eps4plus4
I wanted to be sure if that is the right way.
And in my opinion a correct answer should be one that the person should be satisfied if the person answered his question correctly meaning it should have a explenation, not just a short simple sentence as answer. Not everyone is a so called tech expert imo.
"just force the plug in, and hope for the best" what about forsing a 775 cpu in a 1366 socket and hope for the best lol i'm starting to get crazy, i'm sorry getting tired, to much had happened wrong GTX260 55nm with a pcb thats exactly the same as a gtx275 so my initial waterblock does not fit. Waited almost 2 months for my pc. Cant rma the damn waterblock due to: i'm just to late thanks to the huge delay of my pc including gpu.
And now corsair with their short answer.

Any way this is what i mean: please take a look:

Last edited:
right the section you have highlighted is the one to use. please take note im not defending Ramguy, just tring to explain something. i kind of see why he posted that, as while not specific enough for US. as in only use this side,ect.. in a way it should be self explanatory, when one side doesnt match up, to only use the side that does.

sadly that cpu analogy doesnt work sorry, not for this situation. what i do want to say is that.. ATX12V connector is suppose to be a industry standard, yet it is hard to say that. When different motherboard manufactures use different keying's. the samething happened some time back with the 8pin PCIE connector on some PSU's. I mean is it really that hard for either motherboard makers or PSU makers to be on the same page. about the connectors they need have for things to work.

right the section you have highlighted is the one to use. please take note im not defending Ramguy, just tring to explain something. i kind of see why he posted that, as while not specific enough for US. as in only use this side,ect.. in a way it should be self explanatory, when one side doesnt match up, to only use the side that does.

sadly that cpu analogy doesnt work sorry, not for this situation. what i do want to say is that.. ATX12V connector is suppose to be a industry standard, yet it is hard to say that. When different motherboard manufactures use different keying's. the samething happened some time back with the 8pin PCIE connector on some PSU's. I mean is it really that hard for either motherboard makers or PSU makers to be on the same page. about the connectors they need have for things to work.

Thanks for the reply

Well i got my answer from Corsair but i dont know....They respond with a "general" answer this is what they told me:

"Our 8pin ATX12v can be splitted into two 4-pins and in order to make both 4-pins fit the 4-pin socket we have to change the way the 8-pin is keyed"

It still doesnt tells me if i need to split the 8 pin in to 2 and use the half on the motherboard or just use the entire 8 pin and forcing it in the motherboard, if thats the case il swap that corsair psu for one that does have the 8 pin cable i need. No way il force the 8pin into the 8pin of the mb it doesnt match "if it doesnt fit it doesnt belong there, period". They suppose to be the expert, i can tell from their answers.....

While my question is specifickly towards my motherboard i also asked them what to do exactly in MY CASE. Wich as it seems they ignore.....
Starting to think they wont take any responsibility how? Look at their "general" answers. That answer takes me back right at the start of this issue.
I pinpointed exactly the problem and wish they could provide me with an exact answer to my issue.

well they answered your question, to be honast, i just think you dont like the answer. as the way i read it the answer is still the same... only use the 4pin that is keyed to work with your motherboard. as from you lastest post they indicated they would need to change the other half of the 4 to be keyed correctly to fit.

you have answered your own question though, you will need to swap psu then. since you want to use the full 8pins, while not needed, your choice.

Thanks for the reply

Well i got my answer from Corsair but i dont know....They respond with a "general" answer this is what they told me:

"Our 8pin ATX12v can be splitted into two 4-pins and in order to make both 4-pins fit the 4-pin socket we have to change the way the 8-pin is keyed"

It still doesnt tells me if i need to split the 8 pin in to 2 and use the half on the motherboard or just use the entire 8 pin and forcing it in the motherboard, if thats the case il swap that corsair psu for one that does have the 8 pin cable i need. No way il force the 8pin into the 8pin of the mb it doesnt match "if it doesnt fit it doesnt belong there, period". They suppose to be the expert, i can tell from their answers.....

While my question is specifickly towards my motherboard i also asked them what to do exactly in MY CASE. Wich as it seems they ignore.....
Starting to think they wont take any responsibility how? Look at their "general" answers. That answer takes me back right at the start of this issue.
I pinpointed exactly the problem and wish they could provide me with an exact answer to my issue.

Seriously, read the link I gave you above (and that you quoted back to me).

It'll work just fine and you won't have to force anything.

well they answered your question, to be honast, i just think you dont like the answer. as the way i read it the answer is still the same... only use the 4pin that is keyed to work with your motherboard. as from you lastest post they indicated they would need to change the other half of the 4 to be keyed correctly to fit.

you have answered your own question though, you will need to swap psu then. since you want to use the full 8pins, while not needed, your choice.

No i dont want to use the full 8-pins because as you know they dont match up. All i needed to know was can i use half of the 8pin wich i couldnt see in their answers.
Right well someone on corsair told me to use the half of the 8pin just like in the picture:

Finally an exact answer. So i will use it that way, hopefully nothing strange is going to happen. I really wanted to know if corsair support is helpfull wich imo is average. To me Mushkin has the best customer support and i asked them many questions and they answered these with a satisfied answer, no dodging tactics. They should learn from Mushkin, how its done.

Back