• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another First WC Setup Thread ;D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gwiggles

Well guys, Here's another one for you...

I'm contemplating switching to Water-cooling because I can't stand the noise of my case, GPU, and CPU fans any longer (Sensitive ears because of a recent Scuba diving accident). I would be running this setup with the components in my Sig. However, a buddy of mine just got me a Banchetto 101 "Tech Station" as a present.

With absolutely no intent of sounding snobby or stuck-up, Money is not currently an issue and I'd like to cool these babies as much as possible! :rock:

I've looked around and these blocks seem to be recommended often and quite good:

Swiftech Apogee XT

2x Swiftech Komodo HD5800 Full Cover

Swiftech MCW-NBMax (My only concern with this is that I'm not able to use my Creative T1tanium with the stock NB heatsink and this looks to be about the same size)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm clueless when it comes to Rads, Pumps, Reservoirs, and Tubing. I *think* that the Banchetto can hold a 3x120mm Rad with 3 fans, but I'm not exactly sure. Fan recommendations would be greatly appreciated too.

These rads seem to be good:

*Edit#1* XSPC RX360

Swiftech MCR320 QP

DangerDen X-Flow Black Ice Xtreme III

Pumps: So clueless here! :santa:

*Edit #2* XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay 750lph Pump. I think this would be ideal considering the cast has Three 5.25" Drive Bays and I'm only going to be using one.

*Edit #1* XSPC Pump/Res of some sort. They look really good, Imo.

*Edit #1* DD12V-D5 Pump (Variable Speed) for 1/2" OD

*Edit #1* DDC 3.25-12V 18watt version for 3/8" OD

Tubing: If it's possible, I think red liquid in clear (semi-clear?) tubes would look pretty neat with my Motherboard, Ram, and Graphics Cards. As I understand it, 1/2" tubing seems to be the most widely used.

Reservoir: To keep the look of the Banchetto going, I'd like a clear one if there are any good ones. I don't know if this one is any good or not: Danger Den RAD-Reservoir
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you so much, everyone. This community is truly unsurpassed in terms of willingness and helpfulness in the Overclocking community (IMO).
-Gwiggles

Last edited:
Watercooling for beginning
Hehe I found it ;)
Okay.
Pump U have multiple choice.
Mcp 355 + ek res pump/top combo - 3/8 ID tubing only
Or mcp 655 with vario speed + ek res 150ml --- 1/2 ID tubing only
Tubing: go for RED UV Primochill 1/2 ID or 3/8ID depend on which pumps u are going
with

Avoid Dye/Colored fluid at all
Distilled water + pt Nuke ALWAYS

For Radiator :
Swiftech mcr 320 --- best bang for the bucks. will keep ur i7 at good temps
For fan --- YateLoon Highspeed / Medium or low (3.50each)or some nice Gentle typhoon 1850/1450 (13+each)
Swiftech XT is a good choice for the CPU BLOCK

Since u want to cool 2 5800 series u would want to add a second radiator or a second loop to keep them cool.

EDIT:::
WOOOHOO, awesome station, what I got. You need to do what I did, it roxxxors dude!!!!!!
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

Lets focus on the rads first. You need to understand the heatload vs cooling. This gives you a water temp above ambient (room temps). Too much wattage to cool and not enough raddage real estate or poor fannage choice means your water temps (called Delta T, remember this) will be warmer than acceptable. Warm water doesn't cool a chip very well.

First you need to determine your CPU and GPUs heatload. Then you use these sites to learn about scientific rad tests to see if your planned heatload can be cooled by xxx sized rads.

Once that is decided (that will take you a week to decipher the charts, we'll help) then the choice of rad comes up.

What do you want? You want really quiet or don't mind high speed screaming fans. Quiet then you need more rads. Noise is your game then Black Ice Xtreme high FPI are your game.

Lets worry about pumps later, thats easy.

Here are your links.
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide
http://www.overclockerstech.com/water-cooling-guide-for-beginners/
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=312743

There is sooo much info buried in these links and in these forums right here. You got a great start but mora workie and your golden.

Glad to see someone with no budget constraints, it's fun that way. We'll set you up with great stuff and guide you through it.

Might be looking at a bigger case to start with, I see a 120x4 at a minimum or two 120x2, or even two 120x3 if you want quiet and cool.

I'll definitely read through those articles, thanks heaps for that!

Looking at your thread, I see that your 280s are connected directly from the outlet and inlet. Would that be the case with my 5870s?

I'm thinking that I'd like a setup that is *pretty* quiet. I'd also like to stick with an open air case, if I can; I love the idea of being able to see everything and play around with it hehe. I'm coming from an Antec 1200 with two 5870s and a CPU cooler with two 1600 RPM Sythe S-flexs' so quiet to me might be screaming to you >.<

The Banchetto will allow me to Mount a 120x3 AND a 120x2 directly onto the case, correct?

get the mcr over the xflow series any day. xflow is no good IMO.

but since money is not a concern, then i would look into the XSPC RX series they are great performance at a great price for that performance.

the XSPC RX series is optimized for low speed fans so it will be quiet as you want.

yate loon low speeds would work or you could get high speed yate loons and undervolt them to 5v so they run quiet. i personally do that and all 18 of my high speed yates are very quiet. the blocks look good though i don't know if the n/b block will work.

Yep, I have my GTX 280s in series, connected to a DDC 3.2 pump and a XSPC 120x3 RX rad. One GPU in, a Danger Den SLI between the two blocks, and back to the res/pump.

At 24C room temps, I load at maybe 51-52 on the GPUs running furmark for an hour. My Gentle Typhoon 1850 fans are turned way down, as quiet pretty much as can be. My 1240mm PSU is the loudest fan in my system, I hate it. Still for the wattage I have, it's very quiet.

The Banchetto as the same as mine is plenty capable to hold the rads on the back. Made them vertical instead of one horizontal.

I've decided that I'm going to edit the original post as I go and mark the new items with edit numbers just for sake of not adding too many posts.

I like those XSPC RS360 Rads. How are those in comparison to the Swiftech ones?

I've decided that I'm going to edit the original post as I go and mark the new items with edit numbers just for sake of not adding too many posts.

I like those XSPC RS360 Rads. How are those in comparison to the Swiftech ones?

RX is the new ones. Your reading marketing stuff posted on buy my stuff websites? It's in the tests and users comments.

Don't rush it, lots to learn, man it's fun and done right it's easy. Rushed and buy now not the best results?

Take your time. It's just a hobby. Took me three months reading posts on 3 diff websites almost daily learning, just watching. I was a big air overclocker and thought water would be neat. Listened, read links, learned.

Made my aperts list, got a bit of help, I was golden, all good.

In fact, I learned so much, I wrote THIS almost right after my first WC build I had learned so much. Already gave you the link, but here it is again.
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=312743

So taking it slow is best. Already the RS XSPC has you excited. Man, we are wayy past that radiator already.

I meant to put RX360 not RS :b I linked to the RX in the first post as well. I'm just really excited, I'll be honest. I don't WANT to be patient, but I know I'll have to be :b

Hehe, good for you, yea there is a big diff. I like the XSPC RX rads. For a low FPI quiet rad, good quality they are a nice choice. The Black Ice SR-1 series is just as good, the EK new rad isn't bad, but for a 10% loss in cooling, with a BIT less noise the Swiftech MCR series can't be beat at 1/2 the cost. Good stuff. The Swiftech rads with the built in pump solution rocks. WAYYY less hose routing and the rad has a fill hole at the top. Pricy, but for a new build...

I saw Gabe's (CEO Swiftech) setup with the new rad/pump setup at a private CES party. I was very impressed. Absolutey almost silent in a coolermaster case. His rads are a bit thinner, bit higher FPI, but it's just fine as Spawn can attest to. No better budget choice, if watercooling can have a budget...........

Anyhoo, learn and read lots of posts, going back 30 days with a few cups of your choice of drink will teach you buttloads.

So tell me how effective you think these would be:

Setup Option #1:
Triple MCR Drive #1 => CPU => NB => Radiator => CPU ect.ect.
Triple MCR Drive #2 => GPU#1 => GPU #2 => Radiator =>GPU #1 ect.ect.

~~~~~
Setup Option #2
XSPC Dual Bay Dual Res + 2x Laing DDC 3.25 - 12v Pump

Loop#1: Res/Pump #1 => XSPC RX360 Rad #1 => CPU => NB => Res/Pump #1

Loop#2: Res/Pump #2 => XSPC RX360 Rad #2 => GPU#1 => GPU#2 => Res/pump

Mcr Drive is a all in one so it would be

Mcr Drive 1- Cpu - Nb (even if its not neccesary) - Mcr drive 1

Mcr drive 2 - Gpu 1 - gpu 2 -Mcr drive 2

The Dual loop one look good.

Yeah, they would both be dual loops. As I understand it, in order to run one loops it would have to go like this. 750lph Res/Pump => Rad#1 => CPU => NB => Rad #2 => Gpu #1 => GPU #2 => Res/pump.

I don't know how good that would be =/

Yeah, is that because there's not as much pumping power? in that single loop there would be two rads as well and one large 750 LPH pump.

dual mcp 355 / 655 will be enough to keep a good flow in ur single loop.
Spawn Inc is runnig 3 rad and more than 10feet of tubing. with 2 mcp 655 running in parrelels

Edit : going to sleep. will be back tomorow :)

in series, not parallel :)

and Gwiggles if your talking about that XSPC pump res combo i wouldn't use that for more then a cpu loop. and at that i still wouldn't use it as i don't know how the quality is. i do know that the 655 or 355 are widely used and great pumps known for quality.

as grosjambon said i can run my entire loop (in sig) on just 1 of the pumps and still be fine, but i have 2 for safety and i had two of them when i ran dual loops.

What do you want? You want really quiet or don't mind high speed screaming fans. Quiet then you need more rads. Noise is your game then Black Ice Xtreme high FPI are your game.

QFT! Had I paid a bit more attention to what I was reading before, I would have passed on my Black Ice GT Stealth 360. The fact that it is a 30 FPI rad, means that the Yate Loon fans I have on it currently are not enough to get it really performing. I have a set of Delta AFB1212VHE's that I need to get put on it, and at 130 CFM when at 12 volts, they should be enough to keep it cool. The problem is, they are 48 db fans, so the only way to really quiet them is to run them at 5 or 7 volts. If I could just remember that I need to get the screws to mount them on my rad, I would be doing good. Go with the Swiftech over the BIX, I wish I would have.

Back