• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM NB Frequency higher than QPI. Bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gear.h34d.2012

Hey all, I was just doing some search around and read that having your RAMs operating frequency (NB Frequency in CPU-Z) higher than your CPU's QPI link frequency can damage your CPU. I ask this now because I just manually set my Dominator to 1600MHz at 1.65v, and now my FB Freq. reads 3184.0 and my CPU's QPI is at 2388.1. Is this bad?

The NB Frequency field in CPU-Z is showing the Uncore frequency, not the "operating frequency" of the RAM. With the BCLK currently at 133MHz, and the DRAM frequency at 1600MHz (8x DRAM multiplier), Uncore (NB Frequency in CPU-Z) should optimally be twice the DRAM frequency = 3200MHz. In your case Uncore is at 3184MHz, which isn't always exactly a 2:1 ratio w/ the DRAM frequency. QPI is using the default multiplier of 18x, so again w/ a BCLK of 133MHz and a 18x QPI multiplier, QPI frequency = 2394MHz (again not always exact, as seen in CPU-Z as 2388.1MHz in your case). If you want to see a clearer picture of your current frequencies and DRAM timings check out CPU Tweaker, which you download from George's forum here...

http://i4memory.com/f79/memset-v4-1...8-tweaking-intel-chipset-memory-timings-2868/

Back