• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ht Link is higher than Nb frequency. How?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

katay

Hi everyone!

Everyone says that ht link can't be higher than nb frequency but on my motherboard, ht link is 2600 mhz and nb frequency is 2000 mhz by default. How come?

If I increase nb frequency to 2600, pc doesn't even boot to bios.

What's the deal?

mobo: gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 rev1
cpu: amd fx 6100

'Everyone' is not correct. ;)
Stock HT link speed on FX is 2600. That's where it should stay.
Stock NB is 2000. Push that to whatever you can get. 2400 is doable on most FX's. Some you can get a little better.

Again, read a guide. This is common FX overclocking knowledge.

'Everyone' is not correct. ;)
Stock HT link speed on FX is 2600. That's where it should stay.
Stock NB is 2000. Push that to whatever you can get. 2400 is doable on most FX's. Some you can get a little better.

Again, read a guide. This is common FX overclocking knowledge.

Oh thank you so much! I guess I'm still kinda ignorant about these subjects no matter how much I read.

I'll try 2400!

If it doesn't go at 2400, you can increase the CPU/NB voltage a little and try again. That is the voltage that controls the IMC. You can safely go to 1.3v-1.35v but be sure to check your temps. It will increase a little.

If it doesn't go at 2400, you can increase the CPU/NB voltage a little and try again. That is the voltage that controls the IMC. You can safely go to 1.3v-1.35v but be sure to check your temps. It will increase a little.

I increased cpu/nb voltage even to 1.45 but no luck. 2400 is unachievable(I keep getting BSOD). Only 2200 is but it makes system run so slow, yet, I get the same benchmark results. No more, no less. Weird.

I think something is wrong with my mobo or bios. Like, changing voltage doesnt do anything. Because same thing happens about my cpu too. Cpu is overclocked to 4.1(I accidently wrote 4.2 before) without voltage but can't go further. Even with 1.6 voltage. Ugh...

That the HT Link cannot be higher than the NB is an old rule that hasn't been true for processors for some years now. I think it was true for pre FX AMD CPUs if my memory serves me correctly. Architecture changes.

Back