• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd PSU Cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hsnopi

So I know they have water cooled PSU's. I am not sold on them yet. but i was wondering if it would help at all to just attach water blocks, homemade or otherwise, to the outside of the PSU as it doesn't carry electricity. You could make your own block or use a flat HDD cooler. My goal, btw, is not OC it is silence and right now the PSU fan is the loudest. I did read a couple threads where people water cooled their own power supplies after taking them apart. I am not that bold as of yet.

Just trying to think outside the box a little.

Yeah thats outside the box alright... If you want a quiet PSU, get a new one. Attaching blocks to the outside of the PSU likely wont achieve your goal anyway.

What PSU do you have currently?

You could always replace the fan, with the usual caveats about not killing yourself by touching the capacitor thingies. I've done it on a couple when the fans started getting noisy and ran them at around 600rpm to keep the noise down.

Im shocked that fan is even spinning up with the 500W load you may be putting on it...

You could always replace the fan, with the usual caveats about not killing yourself by touching the capacitor thingies. I've done it on a couple when the fans started getting noisy and ran them at around 600rpm to keep the noise down.
This will void the warranty, note.

Back