• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

few watercooling questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radi4fun

I had a few questions about watercooling regarding few fans, lighting and fan controller.

first of all, i was wondering, is it OK to have different kind of fans for push/pull system? I have 3 high speed 25mm Yate's and i also have 3 2000PRM 38mm Scythe Ultra Kaze fans. i was wondering if it is OK to have either the 38mm fans pushing and the 25mm fans pulling or the other way around? would it make a big difference at all? This will be used on RX360 radiator. i had turned on the yate loons just to test them, and man they were loud. can't imagine how loud the Scythe fans will get :(

also, i was wondering for those of you guys that have the fan controllers, what is a good fan controller for around $30? it don't have to be no fancy touch screen and all that stuff. as long as it can handel all of my fans and maybe have the water temperature monitoring thing, it would be nice.

and one last thing, i've got some UV dye to add to the loop, and i was wondering what kind of UV CCFL are good? i got some UV CCFL from Fry's and they suck. whats a good brand that brings out the best of UV? or should i go with UV LED Lazer strips?

important pointer first :)

dont put UV dye in your loop.

no1. it hinders performance over more neutral water.

no2. it can really coat and clog all thats good about a blocks design and insulate the interface material from the liquid.

controllers... I like the sunbeam (very bright - but it handles plenty, just set it and forget it)
unless your going hi-tec then monitorings little more than cosmetic thrills.

get a controller and im sure you can tame and equalize thoes two sets of fans no trouble :)

as for uv lights I used two brands and needed to check them over very carefully, there cheap and scary build quality for the brands ive seen.

LED strips are far far safer, I dont run my tubes off the main psu because of horror stories of the ballast wiping the whole machine out. LED`s carnt do that :thup:

EDT: wade in about page three on my thread and theres plenty of photos and clues as to how I achieved the "clown look" with UV tubing not dye :thup:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617283

Please get colored tubing. I have seen lots of posts over the years of slogged loops, stained tubing. It DOESN'T happen with distilled water.

You can't get a basic controller that can handle a lot of fans AND do temp monitoring for the water. First you need a special probe (Bitspower and a few others) make them. Then you'll need the right controller. Big NG and The Koolance one come to mind. Thay are software controlled, pretty nice, but not cheap. Think $100 to start.

And no need to check water temps. The CPU temps and GPU temps are a direct result of the ability of your loop and your water temps in relation to Delta T temps.

Now, a great, cheap, powerful, manual controller that is very poular is this one. I have the baby brother to it, and I'm very happy like lots are.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Sunbeam-Rheobus-Extreme-Black-pr-4090.html

I wouldn't even bother with the push pull. The 38mm fans is more than enough for that rad. In fact if you dig deep into Skinnees site and his tests of that rad, you'll see even the Yates might be fine. The rad isn't meant for massive fans, designed for more of a quiet setup. Thus it's a great rad for quiet setups. If you don't mind the noise, maybe a Black Ice GTX rad would suit your needs better. It really pulls more heat that the XSPC does with massive fans. Look up Skinnee and watercooling on Google.

Try your rad first with the yates, your not happy put the Kazes on instead. If thats not enough, you sir are underraded.

Back