• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WDH just died, need to replace it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikep7779

My P5WDH just died, everything else in the system works fine. I need to replace it. Limitations are the CPU is a q6600, the ram is DDR2 and needs a good raid controller. I dont push my q6600 past 3.0ghz so OCing isnt my main priority. However, sometimes I do it for fun. Overall speed and reliability is most important.

Is p45 still the way to go? It seems like the pickings from that chipset are very limited.

Last edited:
Id go P45. The P43/G41 chipsets just werent that good. Best stability was on the X48/P45 chipsets by far. If you can find a good deal on either, Id grab one.

Theres a nice X48 in the classies, but its DDR3. If you arent in need of a great clocking board, just pickup a board with ICH9R or ICH10R chipset and you should be good to go w/ the raid.

what happened to the mobo to die? Have you considered the oven trick (often used for gfx cards, but might possibly work on ur mobo)?

Also dont rule out a good used p35 mobo like a Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3R!

Id go P45. The P43/G41 chipsets just werent that good. Best stability was on the X48/P45 chipsets by far. If you can find a good deal on either, Id grab one.

Theres a nice X48 in the classies, but its DDR3. If you arent in need of a great clocking board, just pickup a board with ICH9R or ICH10R chipset and you should be good to go w/ the raid.

Ill keep this in mind. It seems like the pickings are slim now, I assume everyone has moved on.

For a E8400 the GIGABYTE GA-P43T-ES3G LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard will work great and has a 3 year warranty to back it up.

LINK:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128467

I dont have a e8400 or ddr3.....

what happened to the mobo to die? Have you considered the oven trick (often used for gfx cards, but might possibly work on ur mobo)?

Also dont rule out a good used p35 mobo like a Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3R!

Physical mishap. Horrible death.

Back