• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much can P43 be overclocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telep_man

Registered
Hi,
I'm just thinking if I put a Q8400 on my P5QL Pro, how much could I overclock it? 400MHz FSB would get me 3.2GHz, but for 150€ it doesn't seem too exiting. Any P43 owners here who can share their experience? BTW my board has a 4 phase voltage regulator and I have 4x1GB RAM that can run at 1066MHz 2.2V.

P43 does OK on dual-cores, but I'm not so sure about quads.

W/ only 4 VRMs it's going to be hard to push a quad, and having 4 dimm slots full won't help on getting that FSB up there either.

Only way to know is to try!

P43 does OK on dual-cores, but I'm not so sure about quads.

W/ only 4 VRMs it's going to be hard to push a quad, and having 4 dimm slots full won't help on getting that FSB up there either.

Only way to know is to try!
Agreed. That chipset isnt the best for overclocking, the added stress on the NB those 4 populated slots adds, and a quad core on top. I would hope 400Mhz is in the cards, but no idea. :shrug:

I was afraid I'd get answers like these. Guess I better wait for AM3+ (read: price drop ;)).

Well, if you already have the P43 why not find a cheap dual-core to throw in it and have a very capable PC?

A 3.5-4GHz 45nm dual-core w/ 4GB RAM is still a very worthy machine, and w/ a decent gfx card you can play most games at 1080p w/ high settings.

I was playing DIRT2 on my HTPC last night (E5200 @ 3.6GHz, 4GB RAM, GTS450) w/ max settings all around except for AA, and was at a constant 60fps (w/ vsync on) at 1920x1080.

Seems a lot cheaper than a whole new platform.

Back