• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is 1T / 2T?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo668

Sorry for asking a stupid simple question. I've always wondered what 1T or 2T are for DRAM settings in BIOS? I've tried Google and the best I got is an explanation on 1T-SRAM. Don't think it's related. Should I use 1T or 2T? Thanks.

the cas ratings that you see with memory can be summed up as wait states. the higher the number the more waiting the memory has to do to refresh itself, so the lower the number the better performance. but if you go lower than the memory is capable of running reliably at it can slow down performance.

The 1t/2t is how many clocks the memory controller spends sending a given command to the ram. 1t means that the controller sends the command on one clock cycle, 2t means it sends it for two clock cycles.

The end result is that running 2t instead of 1t is like adding 1 to nearly every ram timing.
For instance, running 1600-8-8-8-1t and running 1600-7-7-7-2t are very nearly identical, while 1600-7-7-7-1t is significantly (in benchmarks, at least) faster than either one.

Thank you all for the replies.

The Command Rate is already set to 1T in BIOS. I'll leave it as it is.

In theory 2T should be noticable slower than 1T but on new chipsets there is almost no difference ( other than you can find in some benchmarks ). Most producers set profiles to 2T because of compatibility. When you use 2 sticks on standard board, you can use either 1T or 2T and all should work fine but most boards won't accept 4 sticks or more on 1T.
Little performance compare in last 2 screenshots 1T and 2T@2252

On my setup (sig) the default settings on my Doms is 2T. During normal web browsing/opening up pages I get a slight hesitation. In games the hesitation becomes worse like a delay. Switching to 1T sped things up considerably with zero hesitation/delay. Especially in my games.

I noticed zero difference between 1T and 2T, but I figure if the ripjaws are fine running at 1T.. might as well.

The 1t/2t is how many clocks the memory controller spends sending a given command to the ram. 1t means that the controller sends the command on one clock cycle, 2t means it sends it for two clock cycles.

The end result is that running 2t instead of 1t is like adding 1 to nearly every ram timing.
For instance, running 1600-8-8-8-1t and running 1600-7-7-7-2t are very nearly identical, while 1600-7-7-7-1t is significantly (in benchmarks, at least) faster than either one.

Textbook answer there.

What he said! :D

Back