• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual Memory Question....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YoungstaxGx

Will turning off virtual memory be a big performance difference? and can i do it with a 256 +128MBS PC2100 crucial?

As long as you have enough RAM, turning off Virtual Memory can actualy speed up your computer... However, I've heard that the minimum people go for is 512MB before they turn the swap file off.

If you don't use your memory hevaly, you could always try... My best friend did it with the same ammount you had and it seemed to work. Just kinda a case by case issue...

JigPu

is this a big performane hit? liek what will i see different

edit: i set the performance to 0 min and 0 max and when i restarte3d and went into windows it said that paging file was too small....(i have win2k). and also what numbers do u guys set with about the ram i have?

Last edited:
Is there a way to run windows 2000 without a pagefile, and keep it from bitching about it? I've tried setting the pagefile to 0, and the damn thing ******* about insufficient memory (I have 512 MB!!), no matter what.

It just thinks that no matter how much ram it has, it just has to have a pagefile somewhere....argh..

I don't think shutting off paging in 2000/XP totally will give you a performance gain unless you had an exhorbitant amount of RAM and you knew you'd never use it all. I feel like 2000/XP does a great job of handling VM unlike the way it used to be in 9x.

For a long time I have been trying to find out what the optimal VM settings are depending on your physical memory and it seems no one will give you the same answer.

On my XP system I use for gaming this is what I have found to work well for me: I have 512MB RAM and I have the virtual memory set to 512MB and the max size set to 512MB. Mirroring the size of the physical RAM lets me force heap compaction without letting the paging file get out of hand.

Also, I keep the swap file on a different physical drive than the OS and for me I believe this provides the greatest performance gain. I picked up two registry tweaks from ArsTechnica that have helped me a lot because they prevent 2000/XP from paging executive and kernel files. They are set to 0 by default and you can change them to 1 to turn them on. Both are in HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager/Memory Management/

DisableExecutivePaging
LargeSystemCache

- Jason

Back