• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4NW1600@2136 problems:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LEICAM

hi, i tried to overclock the northwood 1600 on an asus p4t-e board. set the fsb speed to 133mhz vcore to 1,55v ram ratio to 3 and all seem to work wonderfull. then i tried to set the systems new up (windows 2000 and xp on a plextor px40ts cdrom), but i were not able to boot from the cd´s. lowering the fsb speed to 100mhz and they work.

the second problem, which raised is worse for me:
i am using the pc for cad and therefore i am using a serial gtco ultima digitizer. after setting the fsb speed to 133 mhz the tablet was not working anymore. lowering the speed and it worked again.
is there an easy way to overcome this problem without setting back the speed??
please help me.
thanks

leicam

Is there a manual setting for he PCI bus divider in the BIOS? Make sure it is at 1/4 for 133 MHz FSB. If it is still at 1/3 (the normal 100 MHz FSB divider) all your PCI devics would be at 44MHz!

If you want to reach 133 FSB you are going to have to overclock using the dip-switches. When you overclock to 133 via the bios, you PCI will be running at 44 mhz, as MadMan007 said, because the P4T-E doesn't have the 1/4 PCI or 1/2 AGP multiplier in the bios. 44 mhz is WAY too high for your PCI. Look at the thread called P4T-E Multiplier??? by BigNuttz for the chart that lists the different pci and agp settings using the dip switches. I am using the 133 FSB currently, w/ my PCI at 33.4 and my AGP at 66.8 with no problems. Hope this helps

hi,
my thanks goes to VaTechHokies, it really works with the jumpers.
But there is one more question:

In Bios there was the possibility to change the vcore, but not with the jumpers.
i use a standard cooling fan, so i dont want up to go further than 133mhz fsb speed.
is there a sugestion what vcore i would need to get a stable system together with the standard fan.
An how can I get the higher vcore with jumpers( i have not seen it in the bios anymore, and the wire method is described only for 1.7V and up, and I think this would be too high for me).
thanks in advance.

great board!!!

LEICAM

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
In jumper mode you dont have a choice. If you do a vmod I would lap your heat sink and add extra case fans. I will be purchasing a 1.6a for my kids machine soon and I will probably run it around 1.75 with air. I have extra fans in their case. You can see it here.

LEICAM-
When you say that your system really works by using the dip switches, do you mean it is stable at 133 FSB? If it is stable at this speed, there is no reason to do the volt mod, but if you are getting problems, you probably need to do the pin trick outlined by batboy. I currently have my processor running at 1.8 vcore (it reads 1.78 in the bios, but like Big Nuttz said, you can't change the vcore when you use the jumper mode) and it is running really stable. I know there are people running at 1.7v and 133 FSB stable, so 1.7v seems like it will be more than enough for the 1.6 northies to run at 133 FSB.

As far as your HSF goes, there are people w/ your exact same setup, running at 1.7 vcore and 133 FSB that don't have any heat problems. The intel heat sink will do fine at lower overclocks, but needs to be changed if you plan on taking your system over 133 FSB. If I were you, I'd read Batboy's stick in the intel cpu's section of the forums, and then if you feel up to it do the pin trick for 1.7 volts and see where you are at after you are done. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. There are some really great people that know a lot in these forums, who will be able to answer almost any question you can come up with.

well,
i am running the system at fsb 133mhz and it seem to work absolute stable --- and i think that 2136mhz is ok for cad, i dont want to work with the trial and error method and risc to destroy something, or loose too much time in work.
i really love my new system the way it works now.

for all those, who are absolute interested in speed they should give an ide-raid system a try- a really boost in performance.

thanks to all who helped me

greetings

LEICAM

Back