• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing heat spreaders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why ;)
Well remove the clips then either get it hot or freeze it then carefully pull it off.

If you want to know what chips are on it you can just ask the ram guy at corsairs message board.

I think I have a bad stick and was going to return it to Corsair. Do you know if the warranty would be "voided" if I have spreaders on there?

no idea about the warente being voided by that but i dont think id mention it. how are the spreaders atached. are they just clip ons or did they have to be adhered usinga themral adhesive???

ssjwizard said:
no idea about the warente being voided by that but i dont think id mention it. how are the spreaders atached. are they just clip ons or did they have to be adhered usinga themral adhesive???

I used the adhesive tape. I did have the clip-ons but I removed them.

Placid said:
Why ;)
Well remove the clips then either get it hot or freeze it then carefully pull it off.

If you want to know what chips are on it you can just ask the ram guy at corsairs message board.

How would I go about getting them hot? Freezing them didn't seem to work.
I'll think I'll wait and see what the Ram Guy says about the spreaders being on there.

OnDborder said:

How would I go about getting them hot? Freezing them didn't seem to work.
I'll think I'll wait and see what the Ram Guy says about the spreaders being on there.

A hair dryer.

I am pretty sure removing the heatspreader voids the warranty.

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure removing custom heat spreaders will void your warranty. Be carefull iwth the hair dryer cuase i nearly burned myself with them. Don't pull too hard and take your time

JudgeDredd said:
I may be a little off topic here, but why does RDRAM come with heat spreaders on them, but DDR does not?

DDR from Mushkin (high end) and Corsair all use heatspreaders

Look

xmsmodschart1_r1_c2.gif

256DDR3000.gif

I'd try dropping it in a pan of boiling water, then fish it out with a straining spoon and try, but then I'm kinda different :D

It is possible that the RAM will work correctly at stock speeds when you remove the heatspreader. DDR RAM appears to be sensitive to noise, heatspreaders can act like an antenna for noise and also act as a conduit for signals from one part of the DDR stick to interfere with another part. So occasionally it will happen that DDR whether on a DIMM or graphics card will perform worse with a spreader on that it does without one. One can try ground bonding the spreader if heat dissipation is truly the limiting factor. I have not heard it said of RDRAM that it is as sensitive as DDR in this regard, so that maybe why spreaders are more common as stock on RDRAM.

regards,

Road Warrior

JudgeDredd said:
I may be a little off topic here, but why does RDRAM come with heat spreaders on them, but DDR does not?

Not all DDR puts out heat like RDRAM. That stuff gets hot when you put it through it's paces... but so does my (rev. 2) XMS 2700.

Back