• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with prob i can't figure out...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rick106

Registered
The problem is that my gfx card doesn't seem to work anymore. I have a Creative Geforce 2GTS. It works fine on desktop and the resolutions change withour problems. I have installed the 10.80's and the via4in1428. It just stopped working all of a sudden for 3dmarks and for any of my games, it just crashes and I have to restart. The comp isn't even overclocked at the moment. And I have formatted since, but I still get the problem. Any ideas will be appreciated,
Rich

Also when i boot from cold the computer doesn't start and makes 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps. I don't know what this means but when i press restart the computer restarts fine. Does anyonwe know what this beep code means and how to solve it. Cheers,

Rich

All the BIOS beep codes should be in your manual or in a spec sheet on Abit's site. Every board I've owned had a table in the manual explaining each one.

Could be bad memory or maybe the card is not seated correctly in the AGP slot. I have a PC this happens to fairly often.

Check what that code is in the manual and report back and I'll see if I can find a solution for you...

Right the beep code "indicates a problem with the video card or the memory on it". Although i have really pressed hard to get the vid card in. It def won't go any further, or should i try again. It does boot up when i restart as i said and seems to work for everything except games and benchmarks. There you are John. Thanks for the help,

Rich

rick106 (Jun 30, 2001 01:49 p.m.):
Right the beep code "indicates a problem with the video card or the memory on it". Although i have really pressed hard to get the vid card in. It def won't go any further, or should i try again. It does boot up when i restart as i said and seems to work for everything except games and benchmarks. There you are John. Thanks for the help,

Rich

Make sure the card's firmly set in the slot, sometimes they find themselves wiggling loose.

Also, try loading with another vid card (assuming you have one), something you know works, and make sure it's the vid card. Once in windows, shutdown and reinsert to Geforce.

[These are some thing's I've done before that seem to work]

i had a similar problem with my current video card
whenever i would WARM boot, id get the "bad video card memory or video card not found" beeps
if i waited or reset a bunch of times it would finally boot up
i thought i just had a crappy video card
when i got my new branded ram and took my generic sdram out i never had the problem again
something to think about but i dont udnerstand why it would have just stopped working
if you have some old ram sitting around maybe you could try that

good luck man

Even removing the card and and reinserting can help. I have seen just pushing down a "loose" video card doesn't help for sometimes.

Other than that I would upgrade to the .32 4in1 Drivers and get the newest detonator drivers.

Back