• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 98SE CPU speed limit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ConanBarbarian

Registered
Hi there!

Could it be that Windows 98SE can't work properly with a 1.2+ (or something like that) GHz CPU? It freezes right seconds after displaying desktop (not fully loaded). Other overclocking issues are not the case here.

Conan

Celeron 1.1A
ABIT ST6
256 MB RAM

Welcome to the forums.
The problem is probably a driver or hardware conflict, not your CPU speed. Boot using command prompt, and you should be able to find out at what point your system is hanging.

What do you mean saying "command prompt"? SafeMode?
The thing is, it only freezes when CPU is overclocked, so I guess it's a different matter.
Anyway, I'm here to find out if anyone on the forums experienced such a thing before...

Conan

I run 98SE on my 1.4 Ghz, no probs.

If it locks when it's OCed, it could be either a cooling problem, or the speed the chip is at is causing FPU errors. Those are fun...

And ....I run Windows 98SE at 2.234Ghz. Kinda don't think it is the cpu speed.;)

I think I would be looking at either voltage or cooling. We need more info in order to be of more assistance.

ConanBarbarian said:
What do you mean saying "command prompt"? SafeMode?
The thing is, it only freezes when CPU is overclocked, so I guess it's a different matter.
Anyway, I'm here to find out if anyone on the forums experienced such a thing before...

Conan

What cooling do you use and what about your CPU temps?

Have you increased the vcore when overclocking?

Please give us some more information to work with

Thanks.
So it's not Windows then.
If you need more info, you could just check out my post at Intel CPUs -> Celeron 1.1 problems continued.

Conan

ThePerfectCore said:
I run 98SE on my 1.4 Ghz, no probs.

If it locks when it's OCed, it could be either a cooling problem, or the speed the chip is at is causing FPU errors. Those are fun...

funny that you mention that, i installed 98se for a dual boot, as soon as i overclocked, it locks up exactly when it boots to the desktop.

I just went and installed WinME.
Guess what happened... I can overclock my CPU (to 133 FSB) at stock voltage and get no lockups.
Seems like Win98SE has some kind of o/c protection for Intel CPUs over 1.x GHz :)

Thanks for inspiration, Royal!

Conan

Back