• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RE: "A New Core for Apple?"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smilingcrow

RE: "A New Core for Apple?"

Dear Mr Stroligo,

It was good to see Steve Jobs’s quote in perspective but apart from that I was surprised by much of the rest of the article. I don’t know your style but I can only assume it was meant to be a humorous piece?

If Apple were to say port OS X to a platform consisting of a Nvidia chipset and a Clawhammer CPU couldn’t Nvidia tweak the chipset in some way to make it incompatible with other x86 Operating Systems? Also don’t Apple own OS X and wouldn’t it be up to them on whether they chose to license it to third parties?

Given this scenario for a third party chipset vendor to crack the chipset modification and the BIOS and then persuade motherboard manufacturers to build a board that was only compatible with an OS that wasn’t legally available seems a little far fetched.
It’s one thing for VIA to build P4 chipsets with Intel disputing their right to do so but this would be too much.

Of course I’ve got absolutely no idea whether it’s possible to tweak a chipset and have it still compatible with a clawhammer but incompatible with Windows but my imagination says yes. Tweaking the chipset to only support 64 bit mode would be a useful help as well.

All the same a Mac for x86-64 be it on a tweaked platform or otherwise! Sounds unlikely but I haven’t seen the PowerPC roadmap so I can’t really comment. On the other hand PowerPC have had a poor record of delivering these last few years which is why this scenario is being given any credence at all.

:) Crow

err.jpg

Man I keep getting these, wth ? lol

Humble (apple) pie.

I just reread my initial post due to there being a response to it and it hit me how unconsciously aggressive I had been towards Mr Stroligo. Hey, sorry, I’m going through some stuff in my life a ce moment and this anger leaked out towards you inappropriately.
I was just trying to query one aspect of your post and also wondered if it was possible to tweak a chipset to make it non-compliant as I suggested.

I was seriously bored with computer architecture when I was in college but find myself more interested these days. Anyone recommend a good resource particularly on CPU design for dummies? Hey, they seem to cover just about everything else.

:( Crow

Back