• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 2k SP3 now "Officially" available via micro$oft!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just installed it on my 400mhz Laptop really dont see any differneces except for this one thing that says "set program access and defaults" which lets you change your default email reader, media player, web browser, and java machine.

you can also UNinstall IE, Outlook express, and windows media player!

these features would be best in XP because in 2k the good version of media player, 6.4 is included unless you download the bad newever versions for whatever reason.

the only bad thing i have found about it so far is that it automatically installs auto updates like in XP but you can disable that via control panel

Whats the matter with the update site? When I recently formatted, it would sometimes check my comp sometimes not. It would stop at the percentage like "0% of your computer checked" (Or similar message, who gives!) :D

I'd like to see some comments too.

one thing you should know about SP3....

You agree to the fact that M$ can download and execute code on your machine without your Knoldge/permission.

Read the user agrement before you install it.

jay said:

You agree to the fact that M$ can download and execute code on your machine without your Knoldge/permission.

I usually do. They're talking about the auto update feature (similar to XP). You can disable it in the Control Panel.

Yodums said:
It would stop at the percentage like "0% of your computer checked" (Or similar message, who gives!) :D

Had the same problem.. delete the C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate folder.

I want the pro service pack3 how do I download just that one? I am making a cdrw with all the good files and sp3 network is too big a chunk of space to waste on like only 22mb of needed files.

any help would be great. also links to older versions of IE for download would be great too.

el said:
I want the pro service pack3 how do I download just that one? I am making a cdrw with all the good files and sp3 network is too big a chunk of space to waste on like only 22mb of needed files.

any help would be great. also links to older versions of IE for download would be great too.

I feel kind today.. All version's for an english os.

SP3 Express Installation 620 KB file
SP3 Network Installation 124.68 MB file

Internet Explorer 6 497 KB file
Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 17 MB file
Internet Explorer 5.01 SP2 17 MB file

Hope you like 'em! ;)

jay said:

I didn't see that. I clicked on download, then it brought up the agreement, but i didn't see that part in the agreement.

jay said:

Just bringing this one back from the dead......
Found an intersting aritcle for ya about the updating features. Also, it would suck if MS doesn't allow you to install other critiacal updates down the line if you don't update to SP3. I've had mine on the desktop for about 2 weeks now. Still deciding if I'm going to install it or not. I make a poll to see how many have updated to SP3

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/26698.html

ThePerfectCore said:

Oh, poo and go cry about it, I download at least 300MB of crap a night on my 56K.

Do you sleep a lot?

7KB /sec (optimal) non-stop would give you a whopping 201,600KB after 8 hours...

Guess you sleep for 12+ hours a night? Man, wish I didn't have a job!

SteenkyBastage said:

Do you sleep a lot?

7KB /sec (optimal) non-stop would give you a whopping 201,600KB after 8 hours...

Guess you sleep for 12+ hours a night? Man, wish I didn't have a job!

As far as I'm concerned night starts at 4 (when work gets out) and doesn't end until 7 (when I actually start to wake up)

That's 15 hrs of download "night" time.

Spartacus51 said:

As far as I'm concerned night starts at 4 (when work gets out) and doesn't end until 7 (when I actually start to wake up)

That's 15 hrs of download "night" time.

It does take a long time to download....stupid 1.5mbps cap

Back