• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK, serious problems with 8k3a+...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aggieeng

Well...I put together my 8k3a+, XP2100+ and 512mb Mushkin PC3000 and the rest of my stuff....and the first time the memory wasn't seated right. The board did nothing, the LED didn't even light up. I reseated the memory and then the board just beeps and gives a bad memory code. I unhooked everything and it did the same thing...does it without the RAM in too. Tried some of a friend's Kingston 256mb pc2100...same thing. RMA'd the RAM but now I think it's the board. Any suggestions? Did I fry the board when the RAM wasn't seated right? I'm really frustrated as I have tried everything (I can think of) except RMA'ing the board, and I am about to do that I think. Thanks....

I doubt that badly seated ram could cause damage to a motherboard. I'd say its the board but have you tried re-seating the video card too? Make sure all the jumpers are in the right place and try again. If it doesnt work then rma the board and hope for the best. ;)

Yeah, I tried to get it to post with everything unhooked/plugged except the cpu and ram and same thing happened...plugged it all back in...same thing...I took the board out tonight and checked it out...the DIMMs smell like they've been smoked:( . Board's going back...hope I can get it replaced so I don't have to shell out $120 more for a new one :rolleyes: Anyway, thanks for the suggestions but I am afraid I managed to toast it...and not even the fun way :D . Well...I guess I'll see how good this thing is in a couple weeks.:( .

Back