• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinios: What do you think my problem is?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WayneDolesman

Opinions: What do you think my problem is?

I've had my system running very stable for the past 4 months, ever since I upgraded my CPU. I have a 1.8a running at 2.4b speeds (133FSB).

As of last week, I started getting system-stopping glitches and lock ups while using a certain application (A toolset for a game). This toolset is very CPU intensive.

The glitches consist of quarter sized graphic artifacts, sometimes over the mouse cursor, sometimes in random parts of the display. Random system pauses. Random hard locks and so far, one spontaenous system reboot.

Other than software changes (games, some driver updates, etc), nothing else in my system has changed in the past several months. I haven't even moved my box. I did uninstall/manually remove and reinstall the application, but it didn't resolve the problem. The symptoms really seem to be hardware related to me.

Something else interesting... about a month ago, I noticed very small graphic glitches in the game portion of this application. I thought it was because my OC'd GF4 was overheating, so I downclocked it to the default speeds and they seemed to go away... they cropped up again at some point again (I forget exactly), but then went away by themselves.

I thought it was video related at first. Upon further testing, it doesn't appear to be. 3D Mark runs perfect on my system, but I still have problems in this other program I am using. I believe that is because this program puts massive amounts of stress on the CPU, while 3DMark doesn't put as MUCH..?

My system is vidpinned to 1.7 volts. I am going to knock it back down to 1.8a speeds at 1.5 volts... I think my CPU is choking..?

Thoughts? Opinions?

P4a 1.8 @ 2.4 - 133FSB 1.7 Volts
2x256 PC800 Samsung RDRAM
Asus P4T-E 1005 BIOS
MSI GeForce 4 Ti4400
20GB IBM 60GXP
ASUS 24/12/40 CDRW
SB Live
Intel Pro 100+ NIC
WinXP Pro

Last edited:
You wouldn't by any chance find it helpful to tell us the nme of this program thats causing you problems would you?

Or I'll just assume its a pronographic assembaly program.

The key thing to take into account here.. if it only happens with this program.. then its most likely BECAUSE of this program. does it work on another machine?

The program isn't the issue, so I didn't include the name. The program puts massive stress on the CPU, that is the only reason I mentioned it....

The program in question is Neverwinter Nights. I doubted many of you guys are even familiar with it in the first place - another reason I didn't mention the name of it.

The program works fine on two other PC's, one with similiar configuration.

The problem only seems to be occuring when the CPU is totally maxxed AND there are graphic processings happening at the same time.. This program seems to be more of a TESTING platform to troubleshoot the issue, since it stresses the CPU to it's limits and also renders graphics. I guess I could also try Prime95 and achieve the same effect with the CPU, although Prime95 doesn't do anything with graphics stress, like NWN does.

I went home for lunch, unvidd'd my CPU then fired up the program, and then started a loop of 3D Mark. I was able to get it to fail previously under this configuration, so I'll see what happens now.

I just wanted opinions, not analysis's of possibly application faults - as it's not the application. Sorry.

And another thing - the program has worked flawlessly ever since I been using it (for months).. up until last week, as I mentioned above.

So then, by seeing your number of Stars from posting on here.. you being a 'regular' and all, you probably realize that 90% of the people on this forum have never played NWN while most of them probably haven't even heard of it.

At least that has been my past experience with various games on this forum.

Soo.... you can't blame me for assuming.

Cooling crossed my mind too.. however, it has been very cool in my Apartment the last 2 weeks, especially compared to 2 months ago...... I also run Mobo monitor and my CPU temps are around 33c Idle, 45c Load.

Back