• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet cooler for thunderbird1100. (no o/c)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark_B

I'm looking for a really quiet cooler for my thunderbird 1100 on an A7V motherboard. I've been looking at two Alpha coolers. The PAL6035MUC and the PEP66U. Both ship with a Sanyo Denki 60mm fan (3800 rpm).
Which of these do you recommend (if any). Low noice level is of more importance than cooling efficiency.

Thanks!

/ Mark

When I had to choose between those 2, I looked at the space inside my MB, and I wasn't sure that the PEP would fit, so I bought a PAL. If you have space inside, and you're ok with it, get the PEP.

Yeah the PEP is a better cooler than the PAL, but the PEP requires a mod in some motherboards for it to fit. If u don't care to much about performance and noise is the only issue, the sanyo denki fans i haven't tried, but the Agilent Arcticooler is a good fan, which is probly cheaper than the Alphas, and I can't hear it at all over standard case fan noise.

Aaron

Thanks guys...

I't seems like the PEP is the way to go. So I guess the sanyo fan isn't very loud either. I'm currently using a Chrome Orb (yeah, I know!!!) and it makes a heck of a noice. I also suspect something is wrong with it since my cpu is running close to 70 C (154 F) at idle.

Thanks guys...

Mark_B (May 19, 2001 09:01 p.m.):
I't seems like the PEP is the way to go. So I guess the sanyo fan isn't very loud either. I'm currently using a Chrome Orb (yeah, I know!!!) and it makes a heck of a noice. I also suspect something is wrong with it since my cpu is running close to 70 C (154 F) at idle.

I am using Y.S. Tech 27cfm fan, and it runs quiet. I have 3 12V fans, and the Y.S.Tech fan doesn't run any louder than those 3 fans.

a globalwin modded to accept an 80mm fan is a good quiet solution.

Thanks guys...

Mark_B (May 19, 2001 09:01 p.m.):

70 C idle?! Good god man! what are your load temps? your CPU temps are WAYYYY to high, u need to get those fixed if you don't want a dead CPU.

Aaron

Thanks guys...

Super (May 19, 2001 09:11 p.m.):
I am using Y.S. Tech 27cfm fan, and it runs quiet. I have 3 12V fans, and the Y.S.Tech fan doesn't run any louder than those 3 fans.

Well YS tech fans are a good comprimise between performance and noise. And that is what I currently have in my system. Although if your going from a previously quiet system, like an old P2 system or something, then the YS tech fans are actually somewhat loud. Agilent arcticooler is definately quieter than a YS tech, but it does not perform as well either, so the choice is yours.

Aaron

what would be considered the best cpu fan/heatsink ect for a amd t-bird (800 mhz ;). i have an asus a7 pro mobo and i don't want to drill holes in it or anything but i want my cpu temp to be cooler (right now cpu temp is 55 c and mobo is 34 c). looking for something that is hopefully quite but more importantly that will fit in my case with no mods needed!

Can't find an Agilent fan...

...anywhere (in Sweden), so it looks like i'll get the Sanyo fan. I've looked at tests (Anandtech) where it seems the YS is louder than the Sanyo. Since noice was the main issue, I'll keep looking for an Agilent cooler for a couple of days more.

Thanks for all your help...

/ Mark

Back