• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: Need cheapish cooler for Athlon 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wouldn't starting with the 1800+ make it easier to reach higher speeds than the 1600+, even if it is harder to oc?

(Thanks for the stars link lol)

New problem: the 1600+ is out of stock at overclockers.co.uk lol

Anyone know where i can get the same price in the UK ? (£42)

Paul

I don't know where you can get it, but the rating doesn't really matter, just the stepping. Most all, if not all 1600+'s I have seen selling for the past month or two or so have been the AGOIA stepping, which is the final and best Palomino stepping. In fact, because of the lower popularity of the 1800+'s, you may get an earlier, weaker stepping if you buy it.

For the AX-7 base, you wont HAVE to lap it, but I would anyway to get the best performance.

The finish on my AX-7 wasn't very bad but still needed lapping, from the same vendour. Get yourself some Arctic Silver 3 also, they stock it.

Haven't seen many 1600+ around for a while. Dabs occasionally have the odd one turn up but I wouldn't touch it, could very well be old.

Try a computer fair and take a look at the trays yourself. ;)

The rating DOES matter. A OC XPPalomino 2100 for $87 US will wind up at a higher speed than the typical XP1600 OC simply because the XP1600 runs at a slow 1400mhz to start.

The 2100 will run at 1733 stock and typically OC to 1866-1900 mhz with a good HSF like the CoolerMaster HCC-061 sold at the OC Store where u live.

Samoyed said:
The rating DOES matter. A OC XPPalomino 2100 for $87 US will wind up at a higher speed than the typical XP1600 OC simply because the XP1600 runs at a slow 1400mhz to start.

The 2100 will run at 1733 stock and typically OC to 1866-1900 mhz with a good HSF like the CoolerMaster HCC-061 sold at the OC Store where u live.

This man is what we call a fool. Let's all point and laugh at him.

I've tinkered with 3 2100+ palimino's in my days, and NOT ONE could do more than 140fsb without unlocking. I've never touched a 1600+ but everyone goes on about how great they are and 95+% of the agoia 1600's seem to do 1900-2100mhz. Very good buy with the 1600+.

Get the ax7 and some as3. Lap the ax7.

A great HSF versus a average one might give u 5% more speed. A avg hsf might cost 15 bucks. A good one perhaps 30. I use the all copper Coolermaster HCC-001 which is loud as hell so I put a quieter fan on it. It cost 28 bucks. I got maybe 6 more MHZ on the overclock with the HHC 001 versus the big aluminum sink I had previously.
A great heatsink will give you a huge increase in overclock. Go from 70* @ stock settings to 40* with a 40% overclock. YOU SHOULD NOT OVERCLOCK WITH A STOCK COOLER.

Add at least 1 extra 80 fan blowing OUT to the back of your case besides the PS fan. Always have more fans blowing out than blowing in.
A matter of some debate. I prefer more intake than output and filtered intakes. I never dust my computers internals and It's pretty much dust free (very fine dust still gets through the filter a little.)

[/b]The power supply is the last thing I would upgrade unless yours really sucks. I know of no study ever done that showed that a better PS gave higher overclocks however a 50-75 dollar PS has got to be better than some generic pc of shi* like what I have.[/b]
Depends on what you've got. The general rule is if Im not mistaken, that you want 180watts on your 3.3&5volt lines combined. I've got 175 and I notice that my voltages take a noticable dip when I overclock. (Just bought a 350watt sparkle to replace this 300, so we'll see if that helps. damn this ax7-333 chews up power, my lines were Dead on on my a7v-333)

ti4200 BLOWS mx400 away. But if the mx400 is good enough for you theres no reason to upgrade as prices will only go down.

Lithan said:

This man is what we call a fool. Let's all point and laugh at him.

A fool's only a fool when they don't learn from their mistakes. Give him/her a chance ;)

CheekyChava said:
New problem: the 1600+ is out of stock at overclockers.co.uk lol

Anyone know where i can get the same price in the UK ?

OverclockersUK have got some more in. Give Gibbo an E-mail and he may tell you the codes - he did for me some time back. NB. they have delivery charges.

Lithan: Your opinions and limited experiences are not incontrovertable facts..

Lithin>>I've tinkered with 3 2100+ palimino's in my days, and NOT ONE could do more than 140fsb without unlocking. I've never touched a 1600+ but everyone goes on about how great they are and 95+% of the agoia 1600's seem to do 1900-2100mhz. Very good buy with the 1600+.<<

1)Three 2100s? Wow! you must be an expert. They were probaby early 2100s. I suggest that you immediately check the CPU database here at OC.com and read the data on the XP2100. The typical OC is exactly what I said.

2) The person who started this thread expressed no interest in unlocking his CPU which is not that easy to do for most. This alone makes your suggestion of a XP 1600 moot.

Lithin>>A great heatsink will give you a huge increase in overclock. Go from 70* @ stock settings to 40* with a 40% overclock. YOU SHOULD NOT OVERCLOCK WITH A STOCK COOLER.<<

3) I have only OCed about 30 XP/P4 CPUs. Using the best cooler avalible vs the crappy stock or OEM sink makes about 5% difference in the FSB OC speed. (That's about 6-7 mhz) I have never seen a temp drop of 30 degrees C.

In pent 2s and 3s even with the STOCK SINK ( all of which are still alive) I OCed several 350s to 500, Several Cel 433s to 525 and various others. When I replaced the stock sink with a good one it made only a small difference of maybe 1-2 mhz FSB in these older CPUs.

On my current rig, the OEM aluminum sink was replaced with the HCC-001. I got about 6 more MHZ FSB. Temp drop was about 8C under load. I would not call that a "huge" increase.

Lithin>>A matter of some debate. I prefer more intake than output and filtered intakes. I never dust my computers internals and It's pretty much dust free (very fine dust still gets through the filter a little.)<<

4) I have yet to see ANY expert on case cooling say that the case should have positive pressure. They all say u need negative pressure to avoid pockets of dead air. I guess u missed these articles.

5) I also have yet to read anything but infrequent anecdotes about how the PS affects OC speed unless the PS is obviously malfunctioning.

Ordered all the parts, but my dad reckoned that the 1800+ T-Bred would do even better and offered to pay the extra!

The 8RDA+, T-bred Athlon, 256MB Corsair XMS3200 and the AX-7 (and a DVD player!) should arrive Friday!!

I post again soon... keep everyone informed....

Paul.

PS: Anyone wanna donate a Ti4200 ?? I'm broke :mad:

1. all three were agoia's

2. a Lower multiplier cpu would be BETTER than a higher one if you arent unlocking your cpu and still wish to overclock. That alone makes my suggestion of the xp1600 Alot more reasonable than your suggestion of the xp2100.

3. You are either lieing through your teeth or high. Just look at the temps of the folks with slk800's and Tornados, ~30-35* is probably the average. On xp's with stock cooler 55-70 is around what i've seen. As for Pentium 2's... we are talking about athlon xp's not pentium 2's. I can overclock a 486 without a heatsink that doesn't mean that he should rip the heatsink off his new chip and crank the voltage up for a massive overclock. You're just wrong. Accept it.

4. Negative pressure does provide better cooling. But it also draws in dust. And the cooling effect is negligible with intelligent fan placement. Thats why I gave him my preference.

5. That's just great. Tell you what. You go buy a 200watt noname atx and put it in your machine and tell me how much overclock you can get stable. Computers require power to work. You don't give them enough power, they don't work right.

I'm sure within a week you will be here, proudly brandishing your locked xp2100+@200fsb (2600mhz) with the stock cooler and your 200watt power supply. And I'll be eating my words.

Chava. Nice choice on the tbred 1800+. Best Overclocking xp out right now from what I hear. Nice memory too. What fan are you putting on the ax-7?

Last edited:
Girls, girls, girls!!!

Lets put the handbags away shall we???

You're both agruing different things on half the stuff your talking about. We all have our opinions, some of us will have more sense, but that doesnt stop people from talking cr*p. You dont know eachother's experience with computers except for what we tell eachother here. Remember, i could be some AL Quaeda MOFO trying to bring dow the CIA,, but im not, BUT I COULD BE, and you guys wouldnt know.

SO, what im trying to say is, stop argueing i know its hard, i like to argue when i think im right too!

You guys should just chill, ive got a couple of things id like to add to the arguement on both oppinions, but im only gonna say this:

Every system is different, different rooms, different countries, differnt components, different OCers. No one system can predict how other systems will work. You could have exactly the same system and one could max out at 144MHz and one could go up to 196MHz.
You cannot say that one part is going to be bed because someone else said theirs sucked!!!

Chava:
The 1600's more fun than the 1800, but if youre gonna unlock yours that cool, im not quite there yet, havent got the balls yet (especially after killing 2 cpus in the last 3 months...)

Cheers,

Willem :cool:

I'm using a 80mm 46CFM YS-Tech Fan

The T-Bred is from Komplett.co.uk

Can you tell from the writing on the T-Bred how well it is likely to overclock?
Mine says:

AXDA1800DLT3C 4145407260159
RIRGA 0231MPM 1999 AMD

How much extra performance would unlocking give?
How difficult is it?

Cheers, Paul

Unlocking really makes a difference. You can overclock higher, because you have so much greater flexibility in what you can do. Typically, a lower multiplier and higher FSB are more stable than a relatively high multiplier and mid-to-high FSB. Also, higher FSB increases overall system performance.

For the stepping, I don't know what Mhz range you'd most likely get, but I think that's not the most recent stepping of the chip. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't expect the best out of it. The code after the stepping is the year and week it was made. I have a 1700+ AIUGA 0245 (the system isnt finished tho), which shows your chip is sort of old; older chips don't overclock as well, typically :eh?:

Tbreds come unlocked so it's really really really easy. First you take a beer out of the fridge. Then you drink it. Now you have an unlocked cpu.

i didnt read any of the thread but at svcompucycle there is a great deal, you can get sk-7 for $20 slk-800 for $30 and sk-6+ for $10

Back