• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: Need cheapish cooler for Athlon 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CheekyChava

Help: Need cheapish cooler for Athlon 1700+ **EDIT now a 1600+**

I'm about to build my first rig based on the EPoX RDA+, with Athlon XP 1700+ , Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 60GB ATA133, and 256MB Corsair XMS2700 DDR.

Unsure about the cooler;

I've found the GlobalWin FOB38 for almost 1/3 the price of a SLK800 with a powerful Delta fan, but still not sure of which to buy. I'm going for a good overclock but good noise levels too.

HELP ME!:mad:

PS: Dunno whether to keep using my PixelView GeForce 2 MX400 or invest in a new GF4 Ti4200, budget is a little screwed rite now. How badly does the MX400 compare?

Any comments / suggestions!

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited:
The MX400 would be about 1/2 to 2/3 slower than the 4200.

When you mean 1700+ do you refer to the 1700+ Palamino or 1700+ T-Bred A? Are you planning to overclock?

Thermalright SK7 is very cheap but is still a very good cooler! You can see here that the SK7 is ranked number 2, right behind the SLK800 which is almost twice as expensive! The SK7 is just $25 (that's without a fan and before shipping charges).

What Serraph said is very good advice. With the investment you're putting into the main components, don't skimp on one of the most important aspects of a system, cooling. Use the heatsink rankings as a guide and compare costs to see what works best for you; IMHO the SK-7 should be a very good choice for both performance and value.

On a side note, don't skimp on the power supply either. Line stability affects an overclock, as does the chance of it dying ;)

Serraph said:
Thermalright SK-6 for $9.99 http://svcompucycle.com/thersk6soca3.html
Thermalright SK-7 for $19.99 http://svcompucycle.com/thersk7socco.html

If you plan to overclock, don't skimp on a cooler b/c it'll end up costing you even more money when/if you're CPU dies because of lack of good cooling. Don't forget to use Arctic Silver 3 too.

SK-7 may be overkill(If no overclocking) if its a T-Bred A, since they run cooler than even a P4 1.6A.

If OCing though, it'll be a wise investment. :)

Penguin4x4 said:

SK-7 may be overkill(If no overclocking) if its a T-Bred A, since they run cooler than even a P4 1.6A.

If OCing though, it'll be a wise investment. :)

80mm fans provide a better noise/cooling ratio than 60mm fans, especially combined with the greater surface area of the heatsink.

For best 3D Mark performance per dollar the first thing to do is forget u ever even thought about the GF MX. For another 50 bucks the 4200 will double your speed and it can be overclocked easily.

The XMS memory was a good buy in that you can now run your memory timings at TURBO in the BIOS. This gives about 5-7% more speed.

A great HSF versus a average one might give u 5% more speed. A avg hsf might cost 15 bucks. A good one perhaps 30. I use the all copper Coolermaster HCC-001 which is loud as hell so I put a quieter fan on it. It cost 28 bucks. I got maybe 6 more MHZ on the overclock with the HHC 001 versus the big aluminum sink I had previously.

Add at least 1 extra 80 fan blowing OUT to the back of your case besides the PS fan. Always have more fans blowing out than blowing in.

The power supply is the last thing I would upgrade unless yours really sucks. I know of no study ever done that showed that a better PS gave higher overclocks however a 50-75 dollar PS has got to be better than some generic pc of shi* like what I have.

GL

if you havnt bought the 1700 yet you might want to think about the 1600+ I think it oc's alot better, correct me if i am rong ppl's just a thought (i normally have water kooling but im inbetween setups and i am useing some crap orb and still can get 166x10.5 1.75ghz @ 1.7v and 49c full load)

Last edited:
i placed a 120mm fan on the side of my case over my factory heatsink/fan and it dropped my temps 5 degrees. i cant say it is extremely quiet, but if you get a quieter fan than the cheapo i have on there, it can be a pretty good relatively cheap solution.

I don't see it there myself, although the AX-7 is very close to the SK-7, so its a viable second option.

Also, are there any Pricewatch-like sites for the UK/Europe? You might find a good source through there as well.

Your right. Weird. Those are the only UK Based online shops I know of, and they usually have the latest and greatest stuff.....

I do believe that SVC ships internationally, though you could email Thermalright and order directly from them, [email protected]

:)

I have yet to see any Sk's in the UK. SLK-800 is over £40.00 but the AX-7 can be had for £25.00 from the Overclocking Store.

If its really hard or not worth it to go with an SK, just go with the AX-7, like I said before, its very close in performance.

I'm getin the AX-7 from the overclockingstore

How good is the finish on these, will it need wet&dry paperin'?

Also, the processor is becoming a problem:

The 1600+ (£42) oc's better than the 1700+ (£39) but is £3 more, but i could just upgrage a little more to an 1800+ (£48) but then £58 would get me a 2000+ :rolleyes: (all palominos BTW)

HELP HELP HELP!

Which is the best for oc'in so on...

Thanx, Paul.

WOW! I just noticed i got 1 star! Y did it change ? (I dont get the star thing... sum1 explain)

Back