• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a powerful fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

Well, For some odd reason, I cant get my 1600+ to get to 1800mhz. I want to get at least to this, and Im pretty close. Right now I have a ax-7 with like a 80mm 38 cfm fan on it right now. My temps are around 40-42 idle on the mobo and about 50 on load. If I were to get a bigger fan lets say... around 45 cfm, do you think I could see some better temps? What is the most powerful 80mm fan out there? Would it improve my temps(and overclock?) Any links? Thanks

The Tornados are the highest cfm 80mm fans out there. You might want to try a Sunon 50cfm or something before you do that though.

-PC

Skiing Squirrel said:
Well, For some odd reason, I cant get my 1600+ to get to 1800mhz. I want to get at least to this, and Im pretty close. Right now I have a ax-7 with like a 80mm 38 cfm fan on it right now. My temps are around 40-42 idle on the mobo and about 50 on load. If I were to get a bigger fan lets say... around 45 cfm, do you think I could see some better temps? What is the most powerful 80mm fan out there? Would it improve my temps(and overclock?) Any links? Thanks

dude, it seems your chip is on its limit, cuz my chip is way hotter than yours and its still stable. Look at my setup

If you want 100% 1.9Ghz, just buy a 1700 tbred

Are those TT SmartFan2s any good? I have heard mixed reviews about them. Can you manually adjust them or is it auto?

Re: Re: I need a powerful fan

PhobMX said:

dude, it seems your chip is on its limit, cuz my chip is way hotter than yours and its still stable. Look at my setup

If you want 100% 1.9Ghz, just buy a 1700 tbred

Don't tempt me... :p I bought this chip in hopes of getting around 1.9 ghz.

Im running one on my slk800 and it seems to be doing a very good job. My temps are a crazy 24 degrees c with the case side open and maximum load (running prime95) and the fan at max. My mobo tells me the case temp is 24 degrees so who knows whats going on :)

You have three options on how to control the smart fan 2.

1. You use the little knob you get with it to manually control the rpm of the fan.
2. Use the temp sensor to automatically increase the speed as the temp increases. This doesn't work aswell as manual control as it only reaches max speed when the temp starts hitting 55 degrees I think.
3. You can throuh your sanity into the wind ;) and stick a jumper inbetween the connectors to have full speed all the time mode...or just stick the knob controller thingy to max like I do.

When the SF2 is running at full RPM, is it pretty loud? I know what the dbs are, but is it a high pitched noise? or is it not to bad or what? Just wondering since i leave my comp on 24/7 (F@H)

TheCor4D said:
When the SF2 is running at full RPM, is it pretty loud? I know what the dbs are, but is it a high pitched noise? or is it not to bad or what? Just wondering since i leave my comp on 24/7 (F@H)

Well the case side is off and its on full power and I can only hear the whooshing of air and a slight whine of the motor. It is pretty tolerable actually but the thing demands alot of air which I can't provide it at the moment (thats why the sides off)....a duckting job is in the works together with better airflow.

It comes with loads of wire bits, is a fetching orange colour and includes a nice laser cut fan grill. Overall good value for money I would say.

Try an 80mm-92mm adapter. You could either get more airflow for the noise, or slap on a 119 CFM Tornado :eek:

I have 2 80mm fans blowing in from the front, 2 80mm fans blowing in from the side, 2 80mm fans blowing out on the back, 2 80mm fans on my power supply, both blowing out. I have 3 40mm HD fans blowing in on my hd. I have a 40mm fan on my Northbridge, and Watercooling on my CPU. On my Geforce I have the Thermaltake Ultimate cooler, all copper with nickel ramsinks.

And with that vcore increase your temps go up a good bit. My chip is on the same edge with water cooling, just check my sig. You may not be able to get much more no matter how hard you try. Ever chip has its limits.

ReconSniper said:
I have 2 80mm fans blowing in from the front, 2 80mm fans blowing in from the side, 2 80mm fans blowing out on the back, 2 80mm fans on my power supply, both blowing out. I have 3 40mm HD fans blowing in on my hd. I have a 40mm fan on my Northbridge, and Watercooling on my CPU. On my Geforce I have the Thermaltake Ultimate cooler, all copper with nickel ramsinks.

Got enough fans there buddy?

-PC

Be careful it depends on what you can tolerate. I also have the SF2 and the side of the case off, and I could not tolerate it at full speed. I have it on auto and it is MUCH quieter.

Back