• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-700 Moving computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeOC

Registered
SK-7 Moving computer

I'm going to upgrade sometime after christmas and have heard from some that picking a heavy copper heat sink like the sk-7 could be dangerous to my computer since I like to bring it over to peoples houses. Can anyone tell me if there is a significant danger of it shifting or crushing the core? I don't move it frequently but I would say on average once or twice a month.

edit: fixed name of hs

Last edited:
as long as your careful i think it will be fine. i have a Dragon Orb 3 (one of the heaviest HSF's i ever picked up) and i move my computer constantly.

I would say that it depends on how it mounts. I have an alpha 8045 with a sunnon 80mm on it.. It's in the upper weight class itself. It mounts with the 4 through bolts to the mobo though. I have moved it frequently and I moved to 150 miles in the back of an s10 pickup with a 350 in it.. http://www.troyjohns.com/hotrods.htm

Got to my new place and fired it up with no probs..

I've got the SK-7 and the clip uses all three lugs on each side.
I've moved it many times and nothing's happened. I'd say it's a pretty safe hs to have.

Last edited:
i dont want to demean you or anything, but that does say sk-7 not slk-700, but regradless it is one of the best HS on the market right now.

Dealers selling most larger clip-based coolers around here all warn, that moving the PC while the heatsink is mounted MIGHT loosen the CPU socket or even tear it off totally..

I'd say you'd have to drop the PC or bump it heard for that to happen though....

Cheers, Flixotide

the slk 700 is not out yet according to an email I recieved from thermalright today it is shipping to vendors this week. the sk-7 is also an excellent heatsink and is widely availible. all previous posts provide good points so an additional one is not neccesary.

You can probably minimize your risks if you position the computer to have the motherboard level when you travel. (i.e., if you have a tower case, lay it on its side.) Should be fewer (shear) stresses on the HSF that way. -- Paul

Back