• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-800 Claims Another Victim....XP 1600 AGOIA you will be missed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Larry Quinn

Well...it had to happen eventually....

I just bought an SLK-800 and in the process of mounting..I broke the corner off a GREAT OVERCLOCKING CPU!

This was my first broken core...and I am NOT going to take the entire blame for it!

I've got some advice for anyone mounting this HeatSink.

PULL THE STINKING MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!!!

If you have a case that allows the board to "Flip" out or "Slide" out.....DO IT!!!!!

The extra time it takes could save you a perfectly good CPU!

I replaced the Palo 1600 with a new T-Bred 1700 and so far so good.

The t-bred core is TINY compared to the PALO.

Use the "Pads" that come with the SLK-800 since the pads on the chip don't even come close to touching the heatsink.

Without the additional pads the H/S WILL NOT SIT FLAT ON THE CORE IF THE BOARD IT MOUNTED VERTICALLY!

Add a big 80 x 38 MM fan and it gets even worse!

I hope this info saves someone an additional trip to the computer store!!!!

Larry

I'm very thankful my AGOIA has survived a mismount of my SK-7.

btw, did you try to boot up with the chipped agoia?

As long as you are real careful and take your time, all is well. It would seem that Larry tried to mount it in the case which is a little fiddly. Thats why I got one with a removable mobo tray :)

Is there any concern about the way the SLK-800 hangs on the chip when mounted vertically?

I was looking at getting one for my next rig.

I read that as long as you put on the supplied feet from Thermalright, that it is good. Just make sure that you put on the little feet :)

SLK 800

Yep, i just installed one of those today and i must say i didnt like the amount of pressure i had to apply the get the clips on.
As i was forcing it down and lining it up, i thought if something slips here my motherboard and CPU are gonners.
Blistering performance though, i can actually hear my telly again.

It has one really stiff clip. Once on it doesn't really move too much. Its mounted with the fins running vertically on my Asus A7v8X as the zif socket is sideways on my mobo.

Don't know if it's even sturdier on mobos with the zif socket vertically installed and the fins running horizontally like it would be on the Asus A7n8X boards.

It comes with eight little pads, 4 of which you use instead of the ones on the chip itself as it doesn't even reach them. It is one heavy little thing but thankfully it uses all 3 lugs on the socket and so I don't think it will fall off anytime soon...hopefully :eek:

Abra_Volta said:
Is there any concern about the way the SLK-800 hangs on the chip when mounted vertically?

I was looking at getting one for my next rig.

Ive got a delta screamer on mine and it must be sat right because its took 11c off my CPU temperature compared to a AKASA silver mountain.
I've got it connected to a Hardcano 3 though so i can switch fan to low, medium or high.
So, no there is no problem with it being vertical because its connected to all six clips. Just gotta have a bit of patience fixing it on.

As much as I like the bigocity of the SLK-800, I'll be sticking with the Alpha 8045 for my socket a rigs. The 4 hole mounting system, while far more time-consuming, is superior to the clip-mount on the Thermalright HSF's. I just wouldn't feel safe transporting a rig with a SLK-800 on it to a LAN without removing the heatsink :(

After I put the 4 "Feet" on the H/S it firmed up nice.

Man That T-Bred uses a SMALL core!!!!

I was also replacing an Akasa Silver Mountain!!! (Small World)

I notice that the "4-hole" mounting is fast becoming a thing of the past.....

That is my preferred method of mounting a H/S....

This Gigabyte GA-7VAXP board doesn't have the holes....so the SLK-800 was the best I could find that used the tabs on the socket.

I'm letting the T-Bred burn in a while before pushing it too hard....But it's running 1700 (170*10) No Prob!

This Is my Wife's System so STABILITY IS THE NAME OF THE GAME!!!!!!!

Right now I'm considering a 2700+ for myself..........

But Christmas keeps me from spending the $$ on myself...you know "the season of giving" and all...!

After all....If She's HAPPY.......I'M HAPPY!!!!! ;)

I put like 30 foam pads on my 1600 to support the sk7. i was too lazy and cheap to order away and wait for a shim. so i made one ^^.

not as bad as the sk6 on my pIII that was supported with electrical tape though.

allow me to pay my last respects to you lost loved one.

Ouch! I just got a volcano 9 and I had to bend a few capacitors out of the way to get it to fit. Luckily the motherboard survived without any harm except for some inclined 45degree capacitors :)

Is a shim as good as those pads?

Also, a long time ago I chipped the core of my TBird putting an alpha PAL 6035 on there... still works to this day.

MySK7 was sagging... so I stuck a rubber band on the top and it dropped my temps 10 degrees... That clip was a real ***** to get on the first couple times, but it got lazy FAST!

For anybody that wonders, run your computer on it's side, if the temps are cooler than the HS is sagging, another way to test this is to push on the side of the HS that is on top when the board is mounted vertically... don't push too hard or the comp will crash... I did that a couple times.

I got an slk800 coming now... I hope it works without the rubber band.

My idle/load temps are: 43/48 at 1.97 VCore

Last edited:
hey, im also a n00b and i hardly made to mount my AX7, DAMN THOSE CLIPS ARE TIGHT!!!

just as a suggestion, if you are going to unlock the chip, take the pad on the l1 bridges and reatach it after unlocking, 4 little pads can help so you dont chip or crush the core...

Back