• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You may be a winner: WB prize.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Since87 said:
You are aware committee members wouldn't be able to win right?
Yes, so once my block has been submitted AND evaluated, I'll gladly join the committee (or whenever you see fit, I just want to enter my block). E-mail me.

Ok, since my block isn't completed, and won't be for some time, I'll join. PM/e-mail me for details/info!

I'm dropping the idea. Not much sense in a prize committee with no prize to give away.

I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't more interest shown in supporting quality block design in this way, but the subsidy system may be a better way of encouraging block testing. It's definitely lower maintenance.

As you said, "I'm afraid that this idea isn't going to work, at least not right now."

I think your doing the right thing droppping the idea. The way I see it, the more money people donate for prizes, the less they will give for subsidies. Besides, if a person has his block subsidized by his peers, he should already feel like a winner.

Oone thing that I feel would be a great idea, is if we could decide a winner by a vote from the forum members. Since there is alot of important elements besides performance that make a block desirable, like cost, looks, ease of manufacture exc., it would be difficult for one person to know what the majority of us would choose. Plus, this way we could all participate.

I don't know how hard it would be to pull this off but if it's possible, I think it's worth a try

You know... a structured process is usually meant to replace an unorganized one... In other words, there's nothing preventing people from solliciting donations, either openly in the forums, or one-on-one (PM or e-mail).

Since there is no "sloppy" solicitation going on now, I was lead to state that this committe idea is premature.

Let's revisit in ... 6 months?

Freeloader said:

Oone thing that I feel would be a great idea, is if we could decide a winner by a vote from the forum members. Since there is alot of important elements besides performance that make a block desirable, like cost, looks, ease of manufacture exc., it would be difficult for one person to know what the majority of us would choose. Plus, this way we could all participate.

Good point. The judgement criteria could be a big issue. My preference would be that blocks be judged at least 80% on BillA's performance testing and maybe 10% on useability, and 10% on manufacturability.

If I could get a block that got 0.1 C/W at 1 mH2O pressure drop, I wouldn't care if it looked like a dog turd.

Other's priorities are clearly different.

Does "other priorities" include a specifically high pressure block? 'Cause that's how I made (am making) mine:sn:

bigben2k said:

Let's revisit in ... 6 months?

We'll see. Not likely I'll personally make an effort to push this string. If something like this does get started at some point, I would be happy to help with it.

bigben2k said:
Does "other priorities" include a specifically high pressure block? 'Cause that's how I made (am making) mine:sn:

I presume you mean a block that can take advantage of high pressure better than other blocks? Unless the C/W vs pressure drop curve of the "high pressure block", crossed the curve for a good "low pressure block" below 1.5 mH2O, I wouldn't be much interested.

Unless the "high pressure" is somehow related to cooling performance I don't see a point. So, maybe that would be considered "other's priorities".

wandering a bit afield here, but . .

Ben
"high pressure" is a meaningless phrase w/o definition

high wrt the pump ?
a pump is what it is (bit of Zen pumping here)
I think you mean high as compared to other pumps,
but still needs definition

I have a 1.4lpm gear pump that delivers that flow at 45 psi,
is that high ?
or what about a 4gpm vane pump at 250 psi ?
(NB positive displacement pumps will burst your lines, and GROSSLY exceed a soldered rad's pressure capability)

think a bit on Since87's comments

be cool

that brings up another question, on a very similar topic:

In your radiator roundup, you tested the various rads at different air pressures, but I don't believe that the actual airflow was specified (beyond fan model#s:"2 Panaflo FBH-12G12L - 136 CFM, 4 Nidec TA600DC - 960 CFM"). (Sorry, it's been bugging me for a while, I'll run a search).

In my case, I mean a high flow AND high pressure block, and that's relative to the average pumps (Via 1300, Eheims, ...).

Freeloader said:
I think your doing the right thing droppping the idea. The way I see it, the more money people donate for prizes, the less they will give for subsidies. Besides, if a person has his block subsidized by his peers, he should already feel like a winner.

I don't know how hard it would be to pull this off but if it's possible, I think it's worth a try

That would just be a popularity contest, nothing to do with the block. Lets be realistic. $90 is not much to pay for someone who has gone through the time and effort to make their own design. You'll easily spend way more than that just developing one.

The holidays put a hurtin on my pocketbook and watercooling action has been on the backburner so to speak. You may hear from me soon though on a submission. And for your concern, the =EQ= octopi is still coolin up a storm in my rig:D

That would just be a popularity contest, nothing to do with the block. Lets be realistic.

I beg to differ. It may be a popularity contest, but it would have everything to do with the block. Maybe it's other people's requirements that you think are invalid.

Besides, the contest is just to make it more appealing (maybe not) to get more people involved. The main objective is to get as many different types of blocks tested as possible. That way we all will be winners

$90 is not much to pay for someone who has gone through the time and effort to make their own design. You'll easily spend way more than that just developing one.

That statement will also vary for each individual. Some people make their own block to save every penny they can, to make their computer as cost effective as possible. The chance that they have already spent alot may make them even less likely to want to spend any more.(I know it would for me)

As long as the DIY'er is willing to pay for shipping, I'd be more than willing to help subsidize his test (provided I like his design ofcourse). That includes bigben2k ( if you ever get that damn thing finished, that is)

As usuall I am a bit confused here. This is about DIY blocks, so what benifit does it really do to anyone but the maker to pay $90 to test the block? DIY meaning blocks that are not going to be commercialy available.
I believe the size of the target audience remains to be seen. There are a lot more WB useres than designers. If a small fraction of those interested in better WB designs donate an average of $10 this contest could have a substantial prize.
Sure I am always interested in better WB designs, but I see no reason to pay for it if they are only going to be DIY blocks and never get into the market. Why pay for something that you will never have the option to use?

If I am going to pay for people to design better blocks I better get more out of it than how well it would do if it was available. Not exactly sure what the motivation is for this.

Sure BillA's price of $90 is a steal as I am sure he puts in great time and effort into each test, not to mention the time and money developing the test system. I am not questioning that at all. Just not sure what the benifit or point of this is and what good it will really do in the end.

bigben2k said:
In my case, I mean a high flow AND high pressure block, and that's relative to the average pumps (Via 1300, Eheims, ...).

This doesn't make sense Ben.

When you say, "high pressure block" it implies a restrictive block which does not allow a "high" flowrate. (Assuming centrifugal pump.)

Do you think a high pressure drop across a block is desireable in and of itself?

Do you have some estimate of what the PQ curve for your block will be?

jaydee116 said:
Why pay for something that you will never have the option to use?

I doubt you'll ever have the option to "use" the Hubble Space Telescope yet you may well have paid for it with your tax dollars.

Some will consider it money well spent. Others will consider it a total waste of money. Why might that be?

Back