• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DodgeViper inspired Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoMoses

after seeing DodgeViper's HC here I decided to try something like that myself.

so, I took my radiator, moved it to the top of my case, installed a cap for bleeding, and re-arranged my case. I had loaned out my camera during the mod, so I don't have any "during" pictures. Here is the finished product. It is extremely easy to fill and bleed for an inline system, and it allows me to put in my lower 3.5 HD cage if I want to.

I'm going to put a removeable cover over the entire top that matches the case, leaving the exhaust in the back. After that, the watercooling system will be completely hidden.

case_top.jpg

Last edited:
You have slicked that case up nicely, I think I might try that.

I'd have put the fan underneath, but that's prolly just personal taste.

I too would like some pics of the innards, if you could.

Here's a pic of the rad from the inside. As you can see, there's not room for a fan between the radiator and my DVD-ROM. I need at least 2 5.25" bays for DVD and CD-RW, and I've also got a Nexus front panel temp display. (that's where all those wires are running)

case_top2.jpg

Now I see why the fan is on top.

Nice work on the radiator, I like the built in bleed tube.

The fan should be pretty quiet in itself- it's a Panaflo (typically low noise) model.

NM- why did you use plastic bolts for the HC/fan assembly? Also, how is airflow in that case? ...it looks like the large 5.25" unit and the wires running behind it may create a good bit of flow blocking.

cack01 said:
Looks nice. But isn't that fan kinda loud without a shroud on it?? Also have you thought of putting a shroud on??

No, it's not loud at all. actually, my PS fans are louder than that 120mm Panaflo. As I said before, I plan on putting a cover over the entire top to "stealth" the WC system. When I do that, I may build a low-rise shroud that raises the fan about 0.5"-0.75" above the radiator.

originally posted by fizz3
...why did you use plastic bolts for the HC/fan assembly? Also, how is airflow in that case? ...it looks like the large 5.25" unit and the wires running behind it may create a good bit of flow blocking.

I had used those nylon bolts before and they were just laying around. No special reason for using them. Airflow seems to be very good, actually. I'm seeing water temps about 2-4C above ambient, which indicates that the rad is getting good airflow. Right now, load temps are 33C, so I'm happy with it.

NeoMoses said:
Here's a pic of the rad from the inside. As you can see, there's not room for a fan between the radiator and my DVD-ROM. I need at least 2 5.25" bays for DVD and CD-RW, and I've also got a Nexus front panel temp display. (that's where all those wires are running)

NeoMoses, The only problem I see is you should have placed the bleed/fill line in the very top of the core and not on the side. There is a possible chance of air remaining in the core unless you have that 90 degree fitting at the cores edge. You want to have the bleed/fill line at the highest point on the core.

Last edited:
tilting the HC slightly seemed to bleed it very well. If there is a little air trapped in the HC, it doesn't seem to have a negative effect.

I tried to do that with my radiator... But I couldn't fit it and my psu and my bleed lines on my case top (I didn't have a bleed built into the core... Not quite confident enough in my soldering skills to try that.) Looks nice man.

My pump is located under my Hard Drives. My PCI slots are almost full, so there's no room for a pump there in my case.

what kindof temps are you getting w/out a shroud?

i really like the core mod. are you confident about JBweld? I used it once but didnot like it. maybe i mixed it wrong

looks good

Ct. Strangelove said:
what kindof temps are you getting w/out a shroud?

i really like the core mod. are you confident about JBweld? I used it once but didnot like it. maybe i mixed it wrong

looks good

I used it and leak tested it. Works great but it has to cure for 15 hours. Beats the heck outa spending $15 for a blow torch and another $6.00 for flux and soldier...thats if you can find the flux that's copper mate and the soldier that contains the right percentages of metals as specified by Dodge Viper.

Back