• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DodgeViper inspired Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm a firm believer in JB-weld. Here's a picture of a hose barb that I had to remove from a heatercore. As you can see, the factory soldered joint gave before the JB-weld did. This happened with both barbs. JB weld is very strong and seals very well. I don't think you'll have any problems with it if you follow the directions on the package.

jb.jpg

Last edited:
dpapag said:

I used it and leak tested it. Works great but it has to cure for 15 hours. Beats the heck outa spending $15 for a blow torch and another $6.00 for flux and soldier...thats if you can find the flux that's copper mate and the soldier that contains the right percentages of metals as specified by Dodge Viper.

The flux/solder I use is standard solder and flux used in the plumbing trade. Can be found at any local hardware or Home Depot. Soldering just gives a cleaner more attractive look.

neo i must say that barb idea was a good idea. and the staight cap offf outside the case in that area certainly helped a lot. i like how it looks and i am also a firm beleiver in jbweld.

Calm down Beavis, jeez.

Use a little paint, and even that "massive" amount of JBWeld just disappears.

I am all about doing things as elegantly as possible, and I still think that JB or any epoxy can be used and still look slick.

You just have to be careful.

but dodge viper soldiering lets say 80 joints cost the same as jbwelding like 40. its like 4 dollars for jbweld. when for a can of propane torch head soldier and flux its only like 15. and that is with a lot of soldier and decent torch head i might add... anyone can soldier, anyone can jbweld. we werent saying we wouldnt be able to rip a soldiered joint out. he was just showing how strong jbweld is. and oh i have never been able to physically rip the piping in my house apart after various attemps.but when u break out a torch on a heater core. you can easily over heat those caps. and loose some tubes also...

c'mon guys, there's no need to be arguing in this thread. It's obvious that Dodge's radiator looks better than mine. I'm not trying to say that mine is a beauty queen or anything. I was just giving DV the proper credit for inspiring this idea in my head.

Now that I know this idea works well, I'll probably go back and clean up the JB weld a little bit and paint the tanks of the radiator. I'm not terribly worried about it, because my entire WC system is meant to be hidden in this case. I have no windows, no cold cathodes, no external tubes. Once I make the cover for the top with the rear exit, the entire case will look like a plain, boring, standard case. Yes, I could make this look better, but since it'll never be seen, I'm not going to spend hours polishing my brass radiator. I guess it's just a personal preference of mine.

Ct. Strangelove said:
what kindof temps are you getting w/out a shroud?

Just saw that I hadn't replied to this. Right now, with ambient about 22-23C, I'm getting 32C idle temps and 35C load with my Nemesis waterblock. Temps are measured with a vantec Nexus Temp monitor. Guess it's time to update my sig. :D

Looks great!! BTW, but does anyone know where to find a Y fitting from a local hardware store? I've tried Sears Hardware, Lowes, and Home Depot. All I need is that and the EvO from Neomoses and ill be set. Hey Neo, were you able to ship that out yet?

Last edited:
Back