• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dremel Tip Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyberFed

Dremel Tip Advice / Metal Bonding

I have a 30k rpm dremel and im looking to do some modding on a dell server case i have, its made out of the "old style case" metal so its a little stronger than the flismy aluminum used today. My question is for all your seasoned dremel users, what cutting tool is going to allow me to cut through this the fastest and neatest.

I've been using the little diamond cutting wheels, but i chew through quite a few (though eventually it gets the job done)

model #'s or links would be super appreicated!:D

Also since the server case isnt a p4 atx style mobo holder, im laying down a peice of polished aluminum as a bed for the new mobo where risers will be drilled into this piece, my 2nd question is if i can avoid welding (prefferably) what other methods to connect this aluminum sheet to the mobo tray is there, is there good soder that could do it ( i dont own welding equip hence im avoid welding) it has to be pretty strong to hold the mobo, waterblock , cards ect...

Thanks folks this is one fun project so far!!

a lot of people use the fiber reinforced cutting wheels that are i beleive 1.5 inches in diameter instead of the diamond wheels u speak of which are .75 inches in diameter. you know what i mean the bigger wheels with the fiber reinforcements in them. i do not know a model # or actual name never really paid any attentionto that stuff, just went to home depot.

p.s. please contact a moderator, and have this post moved to the alternitive moddding section. you may get more responses there...

Trust me invest in a $20 jig saw and some metal cutting blades 32TPI or more instead of wasting wheels and a ton of time in the wheels (use the dermal for cleaning up the edges only)

Back