I need a lightweight material...for

Im gonna be modding a window into my PSX(not a small dinky ps1, but the big old gray ones ) and most likely going to paint it also...since hte gear for the opening of it is pretty weak im worried that i may weigh it down to much so that u would have to bring it open by hand, which wouldnt make me happy :|

Soo...im wondering, what would the lightest material be fore this job? It also needs to be avaliable in about 1/8" thickness or 3/16" if possible...thanks for the help i certainly will post the pics when i finish

'Gumpy

Helpful Senior Member Captain Slug's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    A 1/16th or 1/32nf inch sheet of Acetate weighs next to nothing. Acetate is used for vacuu-form packaging or laminating. It's what you normall cut through when you buy a new product that's packaged in a clear bubble container.

You could order a really small sheet cheaply from www.mcmaster.com

It's also a piece of cake to work with since you can just cut it with scissors or tin snips.
    ||[ Oni is a bot! ]-[ My Heatware]-[ In the event of an emergency, the nearest senior member may be used as a floatation device. ]||

I know when stuff is laminated its not easy to break, but how does this stuff look say for a window?? Have you ever used it??

Thanks for the reply and info

'Gump

Helpful Senior Member Captain Slug's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    I use it for CD-ROM windows and such applications that have almost no space for other materials. It's also really flexible.
    ||[ Oni is a bot! ]-[ My Heatware]-[ In the event of an emergency, the nearest senior member may be used as a floatation device. ]||

you can get that stuff at most any office supply stor that has laminating sheets. I would put two clear sheets together to sive extra duribility, and then use superglue to hold it in place where you have the window going.

10 Year Badge
    I have used the stuff for a HDD window and it works great.
    `______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L 0lllllll0-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Hmm ok, now that im pretty sure ill use this stuff, ill just have to make sure i make a clean cut on the cover of the playstation

Thanks for hte help guys!

'Gumpy

just in case you haven't decided yet, I've used acrylic before, they have all sorts of thicknesses at http://www.mcmaster.com/ and it is pretty sturdy and see through. I used acrylic when I created a window for my case. Its another possibility...

Just a question....have you evetr used a psx? coz im just worried that it would be to wayred down and the gear wouldnt be able to push itself open....so i need something really lightweight...

but acryllic would be the best if i could find a light sheet =\

Thanks for the help!

*edit*i noticed that they only offer opaque (non-see through) material on there website (acrylic wise....) so i dont think ill be getting it from there...loll

Thanks tho! */edt*
    Last edited by bubba gump; 04-22-03 at 08:38 PM.

Good luck with the mod. Please post picts when completed. Thanks.

BTW: You may even want to stick a LED in there. Not sure if it could mess up/ interfer the laser, but it sure would look cool.
    i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz
    Asus Rampage II GENE
    2x BFG GTX285
    6GB Crucial Dominator 1600
    Crucial 750TX

Help find cures for cancer by running Folding @ Home.

HEATWARE

Yeh, i was planning to pop a few led's in there...since im not sure how much extra power i would need to run em out of the normal circuit that goes directly to the system, im tempted to wire em to a little battery holder and have a toggle switch for that...the pack would be located in the back....

But the laser is something i never thought about....im thinkin as long as it really doesnt expose to much light to the under area of the disc (its pretty thin inside of a psx w/the lid closed) i think it would be ok....but theres only one way to find out.....im gonna try to do the cut this weekend..hopefully id ont mess up...

'Gumpy

How about

Polycarbonate? Like they make those clear plastic containers out of.. ?
    Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.7, 4gb OCZ ddr3 1333 @ 1800, Asus m4a785td-v evo, Geforce GTS 250, Intel 40G SSD, RaptorX 150gb 10k rpm, Custom test bench case, Sony DVD-R, Corsair 750W

Hmm..im lookin into it right now [OC]Lucifer...thanks for hte idea

'Gumpy

Gump you should be ok, I just look ed at the drive on my original PS.
    i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz
    Asus Rampage II GENE
    2x BFG GTX285
    Crucial 750TX

HEATWARE

i did that, and i just used the lid of a trimmed down jewl case.

By the way, before you chuck the case top, pry out the little play station badge in the lid. Its actually a 3d sticker. Put it on your window

I recently bought

A HUGE plastic container and mounted one of my comps in it. It looked kind of cazy, like a comp you take with you when you go to do laundry.. *LoL*
    Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.7, 4gb OCZ ddr3 1333 @ 1800, Asus m4a785td-v evo, Geforce GTS 250, Intel 40G SSD, RaptorX 150gb 10k rpm, Custom test bench case, Sony DVD-R, Corsair 750W

Okey doke...thanks for the stuff guys...and its actually a badge eh?

I thot it was just a "molded" part of the lid... and SniperXX, you mean that the LED's wont mess w/the laser for the cd??

Or did you mean somehting else....

'Gumpy

I dont see how they could but I'm no laser technician. What color leds do you plan to use?
    i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz
    Asus Rampage II GENE
    2x BFG GTX285
    Crucial 750TX

HEATWARE

Oooh, been a while since i replied...im not thinkin of using red since it has the highest frequency...maybe contrast(may not be right word) which i think would interfere with the laser...so im planning on using something a bit in between like a blue or a green...hopefully will cut tomorrow after hte game..