• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enlarging fan hole in an acrylic case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bsspewer

For the longest time i've been wanting to buy this case: http://www.svc.com/clearaccasat.html but i'm a little stumped on one small problem. I'm planning on buying a water cooled system, and i was going to use the radiator from Dtek. All the fan mounts in the case are for 80 mm fans; what i was wondering is if anyone that has this case could tell me if i could enlarge the front intake fan to fit a 120 mm fan without it getting in the way of anything. If not, where would be a better place to cut a hole and place the radiator and fan.

Another minor question is if a 400w psu can sufficiently run an amd 2100 that's oc with all the fans and lights..

Well, first off, a 400W PSU will definitely be enough, but I'm not sure about the power compumption of a pump (I assume its around 60W), you'd have to factor that in. For the fan hole deal I'd do this. I'd cut out a perfectly 120mm silouette ( wrong spelling, i know), and place it so that the edges appear to be equidistant from the original hole's cutout. I'd then trace it on w/ a dry erase marker or somethign similar, and cutit out using a dremel on low speed with frequent breaks (so as not to melt the acrylic), or a 120mm holesaw. Then just use a 120mm grill to drill out the holes. I'm not sure of those fan screw diameters though.

just my thoughts...im obviously no expert :D

i was looking at an eheim pump, which i thought had it's own 120v cord to plug in..i didn't think it would run off the psu. But, i'm not worried about the actual cutting of the hole, for that i know the people in a local glass shop that have the tools for cutting acrylic holes, and i have woodcutting hole saws. So that all isn't a problem..just a question of how well would it fit and trying to determine the best positioning of it. If i put it in the front, doesn't that mean the rest of the computer would air cool off of that hot air blowing in?

Many people have their radiator in the lower front, doing double duty as an air intake. I am one of them, by the way. While the air coming in will be slightly warmer than it would be without the rad, most people would take this over the opposite: warm case air passing through the rad, affecting CPU temperature eventually.

Also, while 12v pumps can be had, the standard is that they come with an AC plug (120 or 240v). These include the Eheim 1046, 1048 and 1250, for example.

Back