• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I get past 372core? (9500P)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adelphia83

I am using Rage3D Tweak right now, and the core is limited at 372. I currently do not have any heat or stability issues at this speed.

What program can I use to get this sucker a little higher? I'd like to continue using Rage3D (no popups, or advertisements), so is there a way to get around this? The slider literally only goes to 372...

Also what is the expected speed for an overclocked R300 GPU?

There is a reg setting you have to change, but sadly, i can't remember what it is. You should be able to find it ;)

go to rage3d.com.... and check out their faq... or go look on the forum.. your bound to find your answer.

Since rage3dtweaks creators and ATI's driver team is always around the forum, im sure somoene will know or have already posted an answer.

Rage3dtweak is awsome... there isnt another program Id use over it right now for ATI cards.

The new version of RivaTuner will allow you to go higher. My 9500P with no voltmod and stock cooling did 385 before spots started to appear. Upping the cooling and it hit 400. So if you're using stock cooling look for about 380-385.

I'm definately trying to stay with Rage3D.

I have used RivaTuner and Powerstrip before though. Rivatuner was okay but I wouldn't use it myself on an ATI card.

Powerstrip I hated... Not only do they charge for the registered version, but they add a ridiculous countdown timer to the shareware version. Also everytime the system crashed (be it for whatever reason) it would pop up an error message (asking to continue overclock), whether the crash was graphics related or not. Sometimes I wouldn't notice it, and start playing games at stock speed, not even knowing it.

I may try radclocker, but for now I'll try and see if I can get Rage3D to clock any higher.

As for the cooling, I added large K6/2 heatsink with a rather generous 5000rpm 70mm fan. I don't think the core needs anything more than that without a volt mod. Only time will tell though.

Thanks all for the input..

Alas the key to a higher overclock is embedded in the registry.

Anyone wishing to increase core/mem speed past the allowable values should look in the registry under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> GAME UTIL -> ATI RADEON OVERCLOCKER

Inside you'll find the entry listed "UpperCoreX" and "UpperMemX"

The value is a ratio of the default value you wish to go up to.

For example, setting the UpperCoreX to 2.0 will allow you to overclock the card up to twice it's default core speed.

Back