• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pro vs non-pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1fstdoc

I've searched multiple forums and retail sites and so far I've been unable to see a good concise comparison between the ati cards as fat as numbers go. I gather that the pro has a faster core/mem speed. Could someone please explain the difference and tell me what the 9500's, 9700's and 9800's have?

I'm building the following system and I'm stuck on the video card and memory. There are no current plans for overclocking and I want to keep the vid card to $250.

P4 3.0GHz 800 FSB
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
1 gig Corsair DDR (unsure of 3200, 3500, 3700 and 2x512 or 1x1Gig)
Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 120GB HD

Thanks in advance,
Steve

I would get the Radeon 9800 np most of them hit 9800 Pro speeds and beyond some can be turned into Pros... Try to get one with 2.8ns ram You can get them off ebay.. thats were I got mine (its not here yet :mad: )

I second the 9800 non pro.

As for differences, you can easily research that; there is plenty of info available. Except in 9500 series case, pros simply have higher clock settings on gpu and memory. You can usually overclock the non pros to pros though.

Pros have faster clock speeds (core/mem), and usually faster memory (3.3ns v.s. 2.8ns). Obviously they cost more too. I would go with a 9800 np and overclock it to Pro speeds.

The only exception to the "pros have faster core/mem and that's it" rule is the Radeon 9500. The Radeon 9500 has either 128-bit or 256-bit RAM and 4 pixel pipelines; the 9500 PRO has 128-bit RAM and 8 pipelines. Thus, the actual hardware is different.

Back