• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sathenzar

Hey everyone. This is my first post so hopefully I don't step on anyone's toes here by posting this. I am trying to build a new PC by the second week of Feb (hopefully before then) and I am looking for some input. I have around $3500 to spend.

My background: I am a software developer and I get into all kinds of stuff. I love building games with the unreal engine, Maya, and 3Ds MAX. I use Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise for all non-gaming related programming. I also like editing videos in Adobe Premiere and After Effects. In short, I do a bunch of everything and I love having cutting edge stuff when possible. I do like the idea of overclocking, but I can always build on that later so it's not a huge concern at the moment. The one thing I'm least likely to budge on is the CPU - I know I want an Intel Core i9-7920X Skylake X (unless intel has released another 12/24 processor that I am unaware of). Everything else is up for grabs.

I am transferring some of the hardware I currently own to this new build (I'll list that below), so I'm not quite building it from scratch - just close to it :)

I'm going to list each hardware component along with the items I've been looking at so far. Please feel free to recommend others, as these are just the ones that caught my attention while doing some research.

CPU:
Intel Core i9-7920X Skylake X 12-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 2066 140W BX80673I97920X Desktop Processor

Motherboard:
Not sure if there are any features you lose out on if you buy an E-ATX other than getting more limited casing options - any feedback here would be most appreciated. I don't know if I'll ever get a third graphics card, but I might get one to be a dedicated physics card if it makes sense to do so.

GIGABYTE X299 AORUS Gaming 7 (can't seem to find the Gaming 9 anywhere even though I've heard it exists... not sure if that is better or not but it sounds like it should be)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813145014

ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME LGA 2066 Intel X299 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

PSU
Corsair AX1600i
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=Corsair_AX1600i-_-17-139-226-_-Product

Memory:
I know this can be impacted by which mobo is selected, but this is what has caught my eye so far:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236293&ignorebbr=1

Cooling Solution:
Corsair Hydro H150i PRO
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181139&ignorebbr=1

SDD:
Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K54C9645

Case:
TBD - have to settle on a mobo first

These are the items I am transferring over from my old build:

2x Geforce 980 ti overclocked in SLI configuration

2x Samsung 850 Pros 256 GB (each) in RAID 0 (totaling 512 GB for the RAID)

Monitors
4K ASUS ROG Monitor of some type with two side monitors that are not even worth mentioning.

External Prephs.
The usual stuff here

So, no gaming at all, correct?

Lets see...

Mobo - really, many will be plenty good for a lot less. The asrock x299 taichi xe comes to mind.

Ram - memory seems fine.

Psu - massive overkill. A 1kw psu will be fine for 3 980ti stock and that cpu at stock. Id look at an evga g3 850-1000w and not bother with physics/3rd card.

As far as adding another gpu for physics... dont. Not worth it with that much horsepower already. So....you do game?

So, no gaming at all, correct?

Lets see...

Mobo - really, many will be plenty good for a lot less. The asrock x299 taichi xe comes to mind.

Ram - memory seems fine.

Psu - massive overkill. A 1kw psu will be fine for 3 980ti stock and that cpu at stock. Id look at an evga g3 850-1000w and not bother with physics/3rd card.

As far as adding another gpu for physics... dont. Not worth it with that much horsepower already. So....you do game?

Thank you for the quick reply! Sorry for not being clear. I do a LOT of gaming. I also develop games and mod for games and I always play at 4K resolution.

In short, I like video editing, lots of gaming, developing games and designing 3D characters.

I really like having the more cutting edge stuff because I build upon it as time goes on before making a big change like I am about to do now.

Cool. I wouldnt chamge a word i said. Hang on to those 980tis as buying a gpu now is EXPENSIVE.. barely any in stock amd prices.. yeesh.

When prices come down, look i to nvidias next gen flagship for decent 4k gaming.

I have nothing against AMD I just have always purchased Intel and have never been disappointed *knocks on wood now*. Until that changes I will keep buying from them.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool. I wouldnt chamge a word i said. Hang on to those 980tis as buying a gpu now is EXPENSIVE.. barely any in stock amd prices.. yeesh.

When prices come down, look i to nvidias next gen flagship for decent 4k gaming.

Yeah I don't have any plans currently to purchase a graphics card with this upcoming purchase. I was just saying that one of things that caught my attention was that the E-ATX mobo I was looking at could support a third card easily if I ever wanted it to do so. That would be a year down the line at least (if I even thought it then that it made reasonable sense to get another one), so while it's a nice to have option, it's not a game breaker.

Its never really worth it for physx honestly. I mean, there improvements with using one in physx titles, but, there really arent a huge amount out there, and 2 9i0tis can handle it and still put out good fps.

Atx boards also support 3 cards. :)

Back